• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

field tech coworker, hometown Rochester (now brewing in Zetroc), waxed nostalgic about the garbage plate while working out here on the high desert. stuff of legend.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Jack - I’ll put a word in with Corey re: PGA Championship. 1stShow is right, a few others on the Leader Board.
Sorry to hear about Jim Brown. Folks of our generation will all remember his acting career, as well, but he was a perfect fit in The Dirty Dozen. RIP.
Happy happy VGuy. Playoff tix anytime is great, but on your birthday - Priceless!
Garcia Live Volume 20 - Changing up the artwork again. I see Don’t Let Go included on this release, which was always a tune Guitar Player Jerry could have some fun with. As an aside, I’ve bought a few t-shirts from Garcia Family Provisions over the years, and I found the quality head and shoulders above (name redacted).net. Just saying.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Yes, the garbage plate is the stuff of legend. Post beers and whatever else you’ve indulged in.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Garbage plate…?
Never heard of it, just looked it up, gave me indigestion just looking at it lol.
Only places I remember that were favz in ole Crotchfester were THHHHEEEE Great House of Guitars, and the California brew haus! Only place way BITD where you could get real micro and European beer…

4 OTs, that’s over 2 full games! Those boys must be beat. Yeah that goalie interference in a playoff game was BS.
Glad FLA won only cause they deserved it.

Playoff tix for biffday…SWEEEEEETTTT!

Jim Brown was da man! Four winds blow sir….
Ok, gotta pack up and get outta here cuss it’s Friday which means we can indulge in beer and watch the mighty Knights that say neet crush the lowly stars, booooooo! ; ) (sorry Dallas fans just having some fun)
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnddd, spend some more quality 46 time!
Foward, never straight!

Good WE y’all!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

so the other day i was shopping at Wally World and as I turned out of an aisle a display caught my eye...at the end of the aisle was a stack of cleaning products I hadn't seen in a long time, Mop 'n Glo...I stared at for a second and then I started laffing my ass off...back in the early 70's at a party one person passed out and fell from the chair he was sitting in and hit the floor...being the considerate folk we were, we left him there...later I looked and he was still laying on the ground with his mouth open and drooling...he was dubbed Mop 'n Glo and I hadn't thought of that in decades

Mostly for AJS, other golf folks who might wonder. Tree removal at many if not most of the classic older golf courses has been a "thing" for years, recently recognized as mandatory. Short version: little trees become big trees making optimal turf grass difficult to impossible. Recent article in Golf Digest by Shane Ryan reviews what happened at Oak Hill with those trees with plaques that seemed to make them sacred. Old timers fight to keep these trees, then when they are finally gone, big discovery, what a great thing for the playability of the course. Old golf courses as designed by golden age architects did not have trees everywhere. Was out there once, in 1989 to see Curtis Strange defend his US Open title. Back to our regularly scheduling programming, after noting that the closest thing to a golf swing is found in hockey and more upright, baseball. And, thanks to Phish fans who have reminded me to listen to more Trey.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

GREAT cover,,,, now that would make a great puzzle!

A 3,000 piece size be nice.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Fun to watch that course reduce our super heroes to mere mortals.
That and the weather.
World's number one almost didn't even make the cut.
Go Conners, go VGK.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

Hey, at least ya didn’t decorate him!
That was our thing for a while: if you passed out in a “public” space you would be decorated…
You couldn’t touch anybody if they went to bed, only if they passed out say, on the kitchen floor.
Then, it was our sworn solemn duty to decorate them.
This could be accomplished by utilizing different methodologies, usually involving placing objects strategically, but inevitably might end up with certain “art” being applied with sharpies.
The most infamous occasion occurred at my buddy/band mates batch party we throw on his property: outdoor jam sessions, babes, big bonfires, beer barrels and sheet pizzas etc. Well around dawn sometime after decorating the happy couple who passed out in each other’s arms, but foot to jowl, on the couch, thus by law necessitating the said decorating, and after tactfully messing with objects around the house,( things like replacing a wall clock so it’s upside down, moving little things around the house, or reorienting books on a shelf, switching the way the fridge door swings in extreme case), oh, and TPing the trees, after all that at dawn it was down to just ole Howard and myself as Adler had finally succumbed and passed out on a lawn chair outside, so of course we drew inappropriate male genitalia on his forehead just as our buddies Straight laced wealthy Dr. Mother pulls up in her cedes lol. At this point ole Howard and I figured maybe the party was over and we should excuse ourselves. So with a big good mornin howdy do and a proverbial tip o the hat to the Mrs we were outta there like white on rice.
EPILOGUE: as told by those involved. so the Mrs wakes up our Bud in a less than friendly manor after surveying the vast and comprehensive carnage, especially said Adler and his magnificent face art, who proceeds to send poor Adler and other sleeping dogs on their way. Well Adler ends up hitching back into town, but wonders why no one will pick him up, usually no big deal? Eventually, someone he knows picks him up, chuckles but doesn’t mention the amazing art Adler’s sporting on his face. They decide to go to the bar that opens at 7:00, 8:00 AM? Man it’s been a long time lol, so anyway, in they go at witch time the whole bar gives Adler the appropriate appreciation of his fine art, that he’s STILL unaware of, but after such a rousing greeting, and a need to relieve himself, he finally gets to appreciate the fine art in rest room mirror, with a an “aaaa phuch and a grown so load that the entire bar hears it and is set off again, culminating in a standing ovation as he returns to the bar!
Me, I’m old so only tell of such things anymore, for good or for Ill. Howard, he’s still an acid gobbling Neal speed cross country driving madman even pushing 70!
Oh, so when we finally meet up with ole Adler again, and he asks why’d we did that to him as we had been a an Olympic decorating team that night, I told him to listen to Jack Straw ; )

PS: oh, the ultimate decorating involved the decorating, film or video documentation to be used at the future best appropriate time, then removing all objects without waking the victim or their knowledge. One year we turned a pic into a Christmas card and sent it to the victims mom! Of course the downside was the time we were decorating another buddies wife while he video taped it and she woke up….no bueno!

Thank you for the information. At least I know that I’m not losing my mind. One of our local clubs has been doing the same thing, although not as drastically.

1st - it is somewhat gratifying watching these guys struggle. Today seems a bit unfair with the weather conditions, though. If you look at the weather map, there’s a band of rain that seems stuck just over Rochester.

As I said earlier, we were there on Wednesday. John Rahm, who just birdied 13, hit a viewing tent on that same hole that is 25 yards to the right of the fairway. A few holes later, we saw three consecutive guys hit it into the creek. My favorite story, however, was back in 2003 at the same course. The very first professional golf shot I ever saw in person. Ernie Els was on the tee during the actual tournament and shanked his shot into the woods on the right. MFer he bellowed loudly.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Thanks for the heads up on GarciaLive 20. Looks great! Might order that print in fact.

And of course the long awaited HCS 73 box is coming as well! Listened to the 5/20/72 SB show recently and of course it did not disappoint!

This week end has been all about late Little Feat so far which always makes me smile.

And a surprising and loud romp through those first four Aerosmith albums I loved so much as Boston boy in the 70’s.

Wish Jerry and Brent and all could have cleaned up and maintained to hang with us awhile longer as well, but no judging and am so grateful for all Garcia and co gave us while with us. The wheel keeps turning and all….

Be well all!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by wave-that-flag

the best example of the "public" admiration has to be at Ventura County Fairgrounds, not sure what year...some guy had passed out even before the show started...his friends left him in a janitor's closet that was situated just as you walked into the men's room....each time I walked into the pisser he was covered more and more with trash...towards the end only a bit of his face was showing through the mound of debris...wish I knew whether or not they collected him on thier way out...what else are friends for???

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Aaaaa dude, that’s too far lol
Poor bastard. Noooooww if someone had got a pic… ; )

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Cream lyricist and so much more.

....been there. Years ago. I was probably 19-20. Was partying at a friends apartment and went to use the bathroom after drinking way too much and snorting coke. Pants down. Midway through, I felt that saliva buildup that occurs when projectile vomit is on the horizon. Switched from standing to piss, to kneeling to throw up. Threw up then passed out with my pants still around my ankles. Came to, then realized I couldn't see. Back then I wore contacts, and I apparently had puked so hard that they popped out and into the toilet.
I stumbled out of the bathroom with my friends laughing.
"We got a pic of you dude".
So, apparently there is a pic out there somewhere of me in an embarrassing situation.
At least they drove me back to my apartment so I could get my back up glasses because I'm blind w/o them.
Haven't worn contacts in over twenty years.
Was never a fan of poking my finger in my eye anyways.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

An old, blind Marine wanders into an all-girl biker bar by mistake.
He finds his way to a bar stool and orders a shot of Jack Daniels.
After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender, 'Hey, you wanna hear a blonde joke?'
The bar immediately falls absolutely silent.
In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says,
'Before you tell that joke I think it is only fair, given that you are blind, that you should know five things:
1. The bartender is a blonde girl with a baseball bat.
2. The bouncer is a blonde girl.
3. I'm a 6-foot tall, 175-pound blonde woman with a black belt in karate.
4. The woman sitting next to me is blonde and a professional weight lifter.
5. The lady to your right is blonde and a professional wrestler.
Now, think about it seriously, do you still wanna tell that blonde joke?' The blind Marine thinks for a second, shakes his head and mutters, 'No...not if I'm gonna have to explain it five times.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

....good one Dennis! 🤣

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It’s a good thing folks didn’t have cell phones back in the day or I’d most certainly not be a senator ; )

Dennis: perhaps top ten Blonde jokes eevvvvveeerrr ?

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Same ending as game 1. Thachuk scores the overtime winner and Burns doesn’t cover him. Admittedly, Burns got tied up a bit, but still. What a beautiful goal.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

As long as we're talking sports . . .

So the Twins have a good pitcher named Joe Ryan, and early last year Joe was warming up to make one of his first home starts as a Twin. I'm watching the last moments of the pre-game on t.v. and can hear Fire on the Mountain playing in the background on the stadium P.A. I e-mailed a friend who works for the Twins and asked him about it, and he verified that Joe Ryan is a big Deadhead who requests that the Dead be playing while he warms up before the game!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

A traveling salesman stops in a small town bar for a drink.
Takes a seat the bar and orders a beer.
The place is about ¾ full of locals enjoying themselves.
The front door flies open and a guy yells, “Big Pete is Coming!!!”
With that the bar empties out,,,, even the bartender.
The salesman unsure of what this means, goes around behind the bar and refills his beer.
Just then the largest man he’s ever seen comes crashing thru the door. The man is so large his shoulders rip the door from the hinges as he squeezes thru. The salesman just stares nervously.
Man comes to the bar and ask for a bottle. The salesman gives him a bottle and a pint glass.
The giant fills the glass and downs it in one gulp. Then proceeds to bite the neck off the bottle and swallows the balance of the bottle down.
The salesman ask if he would like another.
The giant says, “No,,,, Big Pete is coming!!”

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

A middle-aged man walks into a confessional and kneels down.

Once the priest opens the confessional screen, the man begins.

“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I’m dating a 21-year-old ballerina.”

The priest, pauses briefly, and then responds, “Excuse me my son, but that is not a sin.”

The middle-aged man, replies, “l know. But, I’m telling everyone!”

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

If I could hear the Grateful Dead play one song that I hanv'nt heard them play it would be a 1969 version of Alligator or a 1970 version of Easy Wind. That's 2 songs.

A penguin is driving down the road when suddenly his car's engine starts sputtering and running weird...luckily he sees a a mechanic shop and pulls in...he describes the car's issues to the mechanic who says "Ok, I'll check it out...give me about an hour..." the penguin thanks him and goes outside to wait...he sees an ice cream parlor across the street and it being a rather warm day he decides to have a big dish of vanilla ice cream...afterwards he heads back to the auto shop and walks in...the mechanic sees him and says "well...it looks like you blew a seal"... The penguin shrugs, wiping his beak on his shoulder ands says "Nah, it's only ice cream"....

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

A nice birthday present - an OT win. Enjoy your day!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

It couldn’t happen to a nicer dude!! There’s
a B-day you’ll never forget. What a day!!

Meanwhile, I’ve been listening to music:

Miroslav Vitous-Purple
Joan Osborne-Relish
Pierre Moerlein’s Gong-Live
Beatles-Let It Be box-Disc 2
Phish-Hershey Park 8/11/21

Music Is (Still) The Best!!

An interesting selection, Mr Ones. Bravo.
Often overshadowed in Weather Report by Jaco’s rock sensibilities and lifestyle, he played on some notable releases, and had a few good post-WR releases, notably on ECM.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

41 years ago today I was at the Greek Theatre for the start of another great run by the Good old Grateful Dead. 1982, was a great year for Grateful Dead shows Greek, Frost, Ventura, and of course the December Oakland shows. Fun times!

Mr Ones - my ears pricked up when I read that in your last 5. I've got stacks of Gong tapes, cds, records, dvds etc-but I don't think I have anything with that description attached to it. Although I preferred the versions with Daevid Allen or Steve Hillage at the helm. They are still going,too, but with no original members - great live album, from them recently came out called " Pulsing Signals". Highly recommended.
Gong were probably the most psychedelic band I ever saw. I saw them long before I had taken anything, but as soon as they started playing they took you into another world. They weren't describing something...they were that thing itself. You really didn't need to take anything to trip out with them. Amazing that they are still so good.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks Mr. Ones and That Mike.
Again the thread has lead me to things I forgot I had.
Vitous' album Majesty Music with Lenny White on drums and Miroslav showing his talents on multiple instruments. An amazing musician. I haven't even looked through my ECM selections yet.
Cheers
Nice win Knights! Corey Conners didn't pull off his first major but a great tourny overall. Too bad the exhibition golfer won but the guy is great. He chose that path when he was thinking he was injured and may not come back from it ever. Wonder if he has had regrets now.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Congratulations on the big victory and a belated happy birthday. Remember when I said that the trade for Eichel in return for Tuch was a terrible one? Well, I'd like to rethink that.

Big props to Michael Block at the PGA yesterday. An amazing hole in one and par on 18. One of the best sports stories in quite some time. He stole the day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

And a block party when he gets back to SoCal.
AJS is right, he was the bigger story and rightfully so.
Never seen a "jarred" ace before. So cool!
The club pro that could hang with the big boys.
15th place gets him an invite to next year's PGA tourney.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I've never seen a hole in one like that before either. I didn't know what to make of it at first. The ball just disappeared. It reminded me of the scene in Space Jam when Michael Jordan got sucked into the hole when reaching for his ball after a hole in one. Larry Bird, Bill Murray and Newman just stood their in disbelief, not realizing what happened.

I'd be willing to bet that the day's events pissed off Koepka because it detracted from his victory. I turned it off after Block finished.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

DAVEROCK, I had 4 "Pierre Moerlein's Gong" L.P.'s in the late '70's/early '80's that I absolutely LOVED!! Espresso, Espresso II, Downwind, and Live. They are all great (to my ears) but much more in the "fusion'/Jazz-Rock vein that was big as the '70's drew down. I highly recommend them all, but it's a different beast altogether from Daevid Allen's version of Gong.

ThatMike-It took me years to track down a copy of "Purple". To this day, I've never seen it on cd. Used to fetch quite the price in mint condition with obi. I settled for a worn cover, no obi, but the vinyl was good!! I just wanted to hear it!! John Mclaughlin and Billy Cobham. hell yeah!! I know Mr. Vitous has disowned that recording as a "demo session", but it is fantastic. Somebody PLEASE issue this on CD!!

The main reason I post a last 5 is because YOU ALL have turned me on to GREAT STUFF!! I don't presume that others are unaware of stuff that I like, it's just that sometimes the memory needs a good shake!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html