• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Yep Liberty was my go to summer beer, their Porter my second fav all time, and the Xmass beer was my all time overall favorite. It’s been a holidaze tradition in our house for like 20 years! I liked it so much Id special order between 10 and 20 cases so I could enjoy it all year long! Cannot begin to express my sadness. What’s next, no more Dead music?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Only 2.5 weeks until supposed release of 47…so what’s it gonna be Dave??
(Hear the sound of foot tapping…) I’m guessing 6/22/91 just cause they were messing with it for MUATM production.
Of course I thought that with 7/2/89….

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Gainesville

3rd slot has been a popular time to drop a Brent show.

I was at 6-22-91 and want it to be released (not limited) on CD/download and DVD/Blu-ray.

Since DaP47 probably won’t be Gainesville, I’ll take 7-1-85.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

With the wisdom!

Snap, looks like no announcement today…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Make it a 2 show release Dave.

Even better would be a Summer ‘85 Box.
Plangentize the cassettes!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Can they find an 1985 4 concert box with the best show from each season of the year?

Will pull the MSG box again in the not too distant future...

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

That really is some sad news. Anchor's Liberty Ale was always a favorite, as was their porter. They weren't technically the first craft beer company: they were actually the last surviving local brewery. Once upon a time there were hundreds of local companies, often providing a specifically local style preferred by local drinkers. But after WWII, the brewing industry consolidated in a massive way, so much so that at one point (the mid-70s, I think) there were less than a hundred brewing companies in the whole fucking country. (There's now something like 10,000.)

Anchor somehow survived that era, partly because it was owned by a guy named Fritz Maytag, whose family made a fortune selling appliances, so he could keep the brewery going just because he liked the beer. Their signature product was Anchor Steam, and they were the only ones making "steam beer", a style specific to the Bay Area and which evidently had a loyal following. Steam beer was so named because brewers in the Bay Area would cool the hot wort in long shallow trays that produced lots of steam in cool bay air. This was cheaper than using various refrigeration methods used elsewhere, but it also took longer and exposed the raw beer to lots of microbes that contributed a distinctive funk to the flavor. As is often true of many things--music included--that small imperfection actually made it more perfect.

So Anchor did not start the craft brewing movement, but Fritz Maytag was a mentor to Ken Grossman, who started Sierra Nevada, the company that arguably started it all. He gave him access to equipment and ingredients that he otherwise couldn't have gotten. At that time, brewing was so centralized/industrialized, that it was impossible to buy malt in a quantity small enough to make, say, 100 barrels of beer. You had to buy enough to make thousands of barrels, which Ken could never have done at that time. There's a hilarious story about how Ken once bought a pick up truck bed-sized load of malt from Fritz, not realizing it would be way too heavy for his suspension, and yet somehow manage to coax the pickup all the way back up to Chico via the back roads.

Anyway ... I'll raise a glass to Fritz and to Anchor when happy hour comes today. And would you look at that? It's Beer O'clock already.

I was as surprised as you all there was no announcement about 47. I'm thinking it almost has to be an '80s show, given that we've just had a couple '70s, a couple '90s, and gotten our '60s fix recently. Maybe they'll finally release one of the Berkeley Greeks we've been begging for? A guy can dream.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

I even have the title

Summer Love in the Spring, Fall, and Winter

Hire me, Dave!

Prepping for the final run…

Nice post on Anchor Crow. I misspoke, about first “craft beer”, ment modern area, of course there were hundreds of small local breweries BITD, same in Bu faf. I was referring to modern era, and yeah, back east Sierra Nevada Pale Ales were our go to “micro brew” before that really caught on back there. Hell St Pauli, Beck, and Heineken were exotic back then! Remember, a lot of things that are current in Cali sometimes take years to cross America lol.
Bet you’d dig the Anchor Brewing Story book, good sheet Mon!

85: if yer gonna go…go BIG!
Summer 85, best of tour, a little Greek, Blossom, Toga, Hershey, both Merriweather, and Ventura! Boo yah!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Growing up on the East coast as a beer loving teen in the Seventies, beers like Anchor Steam, Olympia, and Coors (must be kept refrigerated) gained mythical status. Just not available. Had my first Anchor Steam in SF with my old man in 1976 down at the wharf, some crab legs, chowder, you know the drill. Those were the days.
Saw only one show in '85: Manor Downs 8/31. It doesn't get much love on these threads, but boy I'll tell you, as a Texan, it was a gol dern good ol' time. I still remember Jerry's guitar sounding crystal clear like his rig had been super upgraded. Let it Grow, Terrapin, Estimated and ...She Belongs to Me!!!, were the highlights as we kicked up the dust like a bunch of stampeding cattle during that 100 degree late afternoon.

Anchor Steam and Sam Cutler.. man. at 5:20, beer o'clock.. I will be sure to pour my first two sips to the curb. Like others, Anchor Steam was one of my favorites also. Thick and chewy satisfaction, especially around the holidays. As for Sam Cutler, a classic character and a rock and roll icon.

I googled and it looks like Fritz Maytag is still alive at 85, which coincidentally is the year I am seeing a lot of love for further down in the thread. I can't believe it's gone and I have to believe someone will revive Anchor Steam.

My JimInMD account doesn't seem to be logging in correctly so I had to resurrect MDJim. It's still me, I have no idea why it's flaking out on me.

Weird.. but as they say, when the going gets weird... the walls spiral and melt away and you find yourself once again without clothes and purched on top of the telephone pole in the town park with a nasty case of sunburn.

I really like 1985, warts and all and also caught one of these rare and elusive She Belongs to Me. A highlight for sure.

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Thanks ADEDHED68 for the heads-up on DaP 47! If you have any doubts go to your subscription confirmation email, click on the order number, and then enter the pertinent info.

12/9/79 St. Louis:
SET 1: Alabama Getaway > The Promised Land; Brown Eyed Women; Cassidy; Row Jimmy; New Minglewood Blues; Candyman; Lazy Lightning > Supplication; Deal
SET 2: Shakedown Street > Samson & Delilah; High Time > Easy To Love You; Terrapin Station > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Jam > Drums > Space > Black Peter > I Need A Miracle > Bertha > Good Lovin'
ENCORE: Don't Ease Me In

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

So typically dysfunctional that we get a "stealth" announcement.
Fits this year's theme of screw ups.
But hey, that's us. One big dysfunctional family. Love it!
Cheers
It's on the Hoffman thread too.

If that is true, two lsd jams.

Awesome!!!

And, we were just talking 1979 a few weeks back.

Think it might be virgin territory for me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by MDJim

U talk sunburn?!? I'd be more worried about being naked climbing down a pole.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

My subscription shows this date. So, unless it’s an elaborate hoax, it appears to be real.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

.....sad Vguy here. Back in my 20's, when my taste buds matured beyond the Bud/Coors/Miller's, there were three beers that I loved. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Samuel Smiths Nutbrown Ale, and Anchor Steam.
Just got a case of Liberty Ale while I still could.
Good memories. 🍻

Dave's Picks 2023 Subscription
Bundle includes:
• Dave's Picks Vol. 47: Kiel
Auditorium, St. Louis, MO
12/9/79
• Dave's Picks Vol. 48
• Dave's Picks Vol. 45
• Dave's Picks Vol. 46 w/ Bonus
Disc

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

You nailed it! Good prediction on a '79 release brother.
Hope it's a good one. No preview for me, rather be surprised.
I saw a summer '79 show when Brent was new and it was excellent.
He really brought some new energy then.
Cheers

No, it is not the first Sailor > Saint in a Dave's, though they have been rare.

First off, they started doing Sailor > Saint in 1979. They stopped in 1986. Of the 47 (so far) Dave's Picks, only 7 have been in the 1979-1986 window: #8 (11/30/80, Atlanta); #20 (12/9/81, Boulder), #27 (9/2/83, Boise), #31 (12/3/79, Chicago), #35 (4/20/84, Philly), #39 (4/26/83, Philly), and #47 (12/9/79, St. Louis).

Your Sailor > Saints from that batch: #8 (1st set), #31 (after Drumz), and this one, #47 (pre-Drumz).

Other Sailor Saints live on CD: Go To Heaven (Beyond Description bonus Tracks, 10/25/80); Go To Nassau (5/16/80); Dick's Picks #13 (5/6/81), Dick's #21 (11/1/85, either side of D/S), Road Trips Vol. 1, #1 (11/8/79), RT Vol. 3, #4 (5/6/80); RT Vol.4, #4 (4/6/82); 30 Trips Around The Sun (10/27/79, 5/6/81, 10/12/84); In and Out the Garden (3/10/81).

Video: Dead Ahead (10/31/80).

Downloads: Road Trips Full Show Spectrum 11/5/79; Download Series Vol. 7 (9/3/80).

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

...is posted on the grateful dead subreddit. I've had difficulty posting anything even looking like it might be a leenk here, so I won't try (plus don't want to spoil anyone) but it was just a few posts down if you're interested in having a dekko

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

…After that last ok but certainly not top shelf pick from 79, or all hells gonna break loose.
Why, why does he do this? Now I’ve not heard 12/9/79 yet, but if you check out the posts here on DN, there aren’t any, ok 3, 2 “this was my first show…” Archive has more, but many are of the ok, not great vibe. Not definitive proof, but not a good sign either.
So why, when there are at least six shows I could name that would probably be as good or better. Numero uno…12/1/79!
FFS, sounds like another, Good Neighborhood, good street, wrong house….truly hope I’m wrong and it’s a blazer, but if not, he’s going to wreck 79, especially for those who are already were on the fence.
And you have to scratch your head about the big picture too: they’ve had a bit of a sales slump, wouldn’t a guaranteed Home Run be a smarter idea than yet another head scratcher? Just a thought, sorry to be Debbie Downer…

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

December 79 was hit and miss; last one was so so and the sound was muddy compared to the untampered-with original source. Easy to Love You in the 2nd set is a downer for me, too MOR in my opinion
On different note, how do you get Dead & Co livestream tonight? Last show, figured I'd check it out from the couch...

Having just bought this epic 73 box, it would have to be something pretty amazing to get me to pay out for yet another Dead show so soon afterwards. This 79 show doesn't look like an essential one- so it's release actually suits me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Nugs.tv
I’ve been watching the final SF shows. Pretty solid, only a little plodding, but so far I think the Boulder shows had more X factor fire? Bummed I didn’t do the Gorge, they look really good on paper? Anyone checked those out, curious how they were?
Gotta wonder what’s next? I don’t see these guys hanging up their R&R shows just yet….

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Easy there Oroborous - As always, your enthusiasm is infectious. Still, if you read the reviews of the two soundboard options for 12/9/79 on the Archive, they're mostly 4 and 5 star comments – okay, njpg gives it one star because it's "stream only" – the soundboard gets a few nods too. I'm in. And maybe by not releasing only well-known primo shows before 4 - 4.5★ shows is a sign Dave has no plans to wind up Dave's Picks any time soon. He's been known to turn us on to some unexpected diamonds in the rough. Looks like Dave's 47 may be more than a placeholder.

I’m also looking forward to your 12/1/79 with its Gone>Gloria Jam>CC Rider some day too. Onward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....looking for a record breaker!!
Stop teasing me.
Peeps making a pilgrimage to Death Valley for a possible all time earth record.
Went to a AAA baseball game last night. Wasn't a big deal.
Two waters to one beer. Take notes.
There was an inside the park HR and someone stole home, which is always nice to see.
Phish is destroying the south btw. Go get em.
Been reading about fans passing out due to high humidity on top of 95 degrees, which would be somewhat acceptable if it rains.
4% humidity here.
There is a difference.
Btw. Ocean temps around FL is 90 degrees +. Not. Good.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Heard tonight's show would be one hour longer; if so, I'm guessing there might be a few guests.

Some would say this is a consequence of people's behaviour. Behaviour that could be modified. It looks as though if this doesn't happen....

We all focus on the diversity of era's when Dave makes these picks, and rightly so. ('68, '82, '85, '88, '91 anyone?). But I also think he likes to throw in lesser known/distributed shows as well. It cannot be all big ones that circulated widely.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 3/18/67 or 10/30/68 or 7/18/76 or 9/6/80. Or a full release of runs where we only have partials for the most part (2/13/70, 2/14/70, 4/28/71, 4/29/71, 6/26&28/74, 10/19/74, 10/20/74, Alpine '89, MSG '90, etc). But discovering new stuff is part of the fun. For me at least. Hopefully this is a hidden gem.

I do worry that with the last two not selling out (yet), it does not bode well for things going forward. And it might be time to start leaning heavily into the big boys while we still can. But those decisions have likely been made for 47 & 48 before the non-sellout streak started. I think next year would be the soonest a shift could occur.

It is a bit odd that we do not yet have Dave's seaside chat telling us about #47, the how and why since we know the what and when. Dave's started off with 12K edition iirc, makes sense that WMG/Rhino would keep increasing editions over the years until they did not sell out quickly. If they trim back from 25K next year, won't be much, they already have an idea how much inventory they might want to carry and for how long. Sure, maybe they're second guessing themselves now that HCS sold out quick enough, but doing the math, 10K CD sets and who knows how many downloads, things are solid. DaveRock, can only agree, roughly 75% of all my miles driven are electric, share in a solar farm.

Hey, hope I’m wrong and it’s a blazer, I’m just feeling weird about this one, and if I’m unfortunately correct, it’s going to conjure more speculation AND, WMG IS a corporation, so bad decisions have been based on less.
And I dig years like 79, so 2 dogs in a row could again, lead the corporate deciders to put the Kibosh on the year if it doesn’t sell out…
Again, just thinking out loud, sorry to seem negative etc. Truly hope I’m wrong!

I bet we’ll get the official drop mañana, unless their gonna hold off because of UPS strike, or all the box fuckery, or something?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Read this morning that the Christmas beer was done before the shut down and will be available. No mention of whether that was kegs or bottles. Article mentioned that part of their demise was that they were tied more to pubs than stores and the pandemic hit that mix hard and fast. They couldn't adapt quick enough to switch distribution on that scale.
Cheers
Beers that I remember that may not still be around:
- Acme, from S.F., CA and had the best graphic art ever on the can.
- Henry Weinhardt (sp?), was that an upscale from one of the bigger Northwest mega-brewers?
- Erlanger, a Shlitz premium?
- Heilmann's, another cheapo from the brew belt upper mid-west. My G-ma held some corporate stock in that company.
- Blatz, one of the worst ever but oh so cheap for a broke college student. Local Ace liquors in Ft. Collins in 1977 was selling this, I kid you not, for $3.99 a case! The deposit on the case of bottles was more than the beer at $5.00, lol.
Got any fallen flag favorites?

Edit: change dot org has a petition up to save Anchor from Sapporo's shut down. They seem to be hoping a rich Californian or group will save them.

DMCVT- good to read about you driving an electric car. There is a lot I could do to maybe help make things better.. it's gradually beginning to sink in that changes need to be made - and by the likes of me, not just politicians. I hardly drive at all now - about 2 miles a week, which I like to think is beneficial for me, one and all.

Maybe I was a bit harsh about the new Dave's, if it does prove to be from 12/79. I have always liked both 12/26 and 12/28. And I have been spoiled with releases I like so far this year.

OK that's not meant to be a political statement, just having fun. Hollywood Dave avoiding the camera for 47? Will we get an AI Dave?? DaveRock, will not bang the drum here, not the place as I so appreciate emphasis on our shared music interests and adventures. Just part of the umwelt developed from way back, child of the 60s, The Whole Earth Catalog cover of the earth from space, Rex Foundation etc. Heard the comment recently we should call this planet Ocean, not earth for obvious reasons. First Ocean from the Sun, referencing Jimi, since the first two have no liquid, we are goldilocks but for how long?

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I truly believe you won’t have to worry, it’s gonna be a grateful release in the Dave’s Picks! You don’t be disappointed! It’s an amazing performance! gratefully so because what made the band really playing Heavy Grateful Dead from 79’ & hear how the band formed a unity of unstoppable influences from all the band members playing off each other collectively like clock “floating in outer space space” ! Like a ‘Dark Star’! ;)
Keep on truck’n my brother and sister’s! Peace be with you all!
Let’s go 1979!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It's showing 47 as currently unavailable? (Only 11 days until release date.)
As is RFK 4CD, or is that sold out, nah, not limited. Pulled it until issues resolved?
Give 'em time. They'll get their stuff together eventually, lol.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

#47 is unavailable because it hasn’t been released yet. Unless the PTB have changed their policy the DaP’s are not available for pre-order once the subscription window has closed. This change came in a few years ago. The seaside chat should appear very close to the release date so that Dave can remind everyone to go over to the website and order quickly to avoid disappointment. It is odd that some details have already surfaced on the store page.

Edit They must have changed their minds! It can now be ordered. Perhaps the failure to sell out 45 and 46 has had an effect.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html