• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Gary - I still find it weird we both had this random song roiling around our heads at the same time. A great tune with a pretty hypnotic keyboard part. Before I was familiar with that song, I remember ex-Zombie Rod Argent had this popular song of his own in the early 70s - Hold Your Head Up - with an equally great keyboard stretch out.
Good luck with the lottery numbers.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Hyperbole, of course

However, "oh I love to eat it every day
And if you ask me why I'll say
'cause Oscar Mayer has a way with b o l o g n a"

Who wears short shorts
We wear short shorts
If you dare wear short shorts
Nair for short shorts

Brill cream
A little dab will do ya
For men who use their heads about their hair

(Huh huh....they said dab...huh huh)

Gotta be honest...I rarely listen to any GD from the 90s, so I dont know too many Corinnas. However, 6/20/92 comes to mind. And...is it 10 14 94 that has a Corinna?

Overall it is a decent jammy song, and they could do some good stuff with it.

Maybe the time is right to revisit 90s GD. I happen to have 6 2 95 in the car stereo currently.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I was there, I had a great time. We were sitting right down front..

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That may have been a National characteristic, and the hippie/freak - whatever- community in England may have been more laid back than the American version - but that wasn't really a characteristic of live shows by heavy, punk, rock n' roll bands I saw here over the decades. Right up into the 21st Century you were taking your life in your hands if you ventured near the front at a Cramps gigs. And they weren't visiting Americans. In fact I'm not sure all of them were Earthlings.

In some ways, American Dead shows of the 1980's -90's remind me of the early rave scene in Britain. Thousands of young people getting together, taking ecstasy/speed/acid and having what sounded like near religious experiences. You couldn't hope to get any sense of what that scene was like unless you experienced it. It didn't fit on to a cd. Not that I ever went to a rave - just my impression talking to them that had.
Incidentally, more people seem to talk about what drugs they took at Dead shows than with any other band I know of. Of course drugs were taken at all sorts of gigs, but with The Dead they seemed more fundamental to the experience.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

The Flaming Lips played at the zoo earlier this week. Watching people going in I could tell some of them were lysergic. I was able to peek in by the fence and could see there was quite a psychedelic light and stage show. Giant pink dancing puppets (like, 12 feet tall.)

I will always remember the "(doses)" people at my first GD show.

It was 2 more years before I went on that path.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In Aspen Sunday. It is really free, no ticket needed.
Part of their Raizado Festival celebrating Latinx culture.
Check the DOT website for road closures as I-70 and US 40 were closed yesterday for rock removal. And bring a raincoat as the monsoon is on us.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

First psychedelic hit? Fascinating question! Somebody must know that.

Probably not “Time of the Season” though since that came out in 1968, according to the Google lords. I was but a wee lad at the dawning of the First Psychedelic Era, but I do remember some very strange sounds emanating from my Christmas stocking transistor radio somewhat prior to the Summer of Love. I remember the Electric Prunes “Too Much to Dream Last Night”: looks like that came out in late ’66. Pretty sure the 13th Floor Elevators “You’re Gonna Miss Me” was even before that, though I don’t remember hearing it back then.

I spose the answer kind of depends on how you define “psychedelic” and how you define “hit”. Like, the Elevators were a very psychedelic band, but I’d say that particular song is more garage rock, even with the jug noises and Roky’s unhinged vocal. And a quick Google shows it only made #55 on the charts.

I’m going to propose some ground rules: in order to qualify as “psychedelic” the lyrics AND music have to reference or depict the drug experience in some way, and in order to be considered a hit, the song had to be in the top 40.

So, how about “Eight Miles High”? Now that tune is undeniably syke-a-muh-delic in word and deed and it made #14. Yeah, I’m voting for “Eight Miles High.” It came out in in March of ’66.

The again, there’s always those Weedy Beatles to consider. “Day Tripper” came out in December 1965 and made #5, it says here, and it’s at least kinda sorta psychedelic: that guitar break, the nudge-nudge-wink-wink use of the word “tripper”. Hmm. Borderline, I think. I’ll have to think about that one.

Been on a deep dive through ‘70s fusion just lately: lots of Mahavishnu, Weather Report, Herbie's Mwandishi. My cat is starting to wonder what’s going on.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
… the single was released in March 1966, which reached numbers two and seven in the US and UK charts respectively.
Fun fact - 12 x 35 -= 420

Honorable mention - White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

After growing up listening to Live/Dead, Skull and Roses, and Europe 72 ... and my cassette recording of the King Biscuit from Orpheum '76 ... I stood in line outside of Kiel Auditorium at sunrise to score tickets to my first show. I remember being dissapointed; listening to this CD confirms my memory. At least I got a cool tasting glass.

See My Friends by The Kinks was released in summer 1965. I think that's an example of what some people now call "accidental psych" - experimental, innovative pop music that introduced elements which were later used by more overt psychedelic bands. "Happening Ten Years Time Ago" by The Yardbirds from 1966 would be another of those.

Donovan recorded "Sunshine Superman" in December 1965, although it wasn't released until 1966. He was real psych pioneer, Donovan, but because a lot of his recordings were held back, when they were finally released he came across as more of a band wagon jumper than the innovator he was. That clip in "Don't Look Back", where he is confronted with a sarky Bob Dylan didn't do his image much good either.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Good thing it's outdoors. I've seen the Lobos several times, easily the loudest band I've ever heard, with three guitarists. At the fillmore, the sound bounces around the room, a real cacophony. Outdoors, they are great!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

As a 44+ year Dead collector, this was an amazing surprise! I was ambivalent about this release. I have complete Dick's and Dave's Picks and think I might just rank this show in my top 10. Can't stop listening to it. Keep 'em coming Dave!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My copy finally arrived today. I even found time to listen to it all. To my ears it sounds like a very competent performance but the band are hardly on fire. Still, better than I had expected. Fortunately not a lot of Fisher Price piano and very little Brent lead vocal. Solid.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Very divergent opinions, including a disappointed first show, yet here 44 years later when it's released because he didn't ask Cowboy Neal to let him off at the next stop, up to a top 10 DiP or DaP. I'd call that running the gamut. I myself was in the middle. Agree on the less tinkly piano, but was astonished at why I wasn't really hearing his vocals, because he hadn't gotten that full raspiness, he still sounded sweet. His high harmonies at times sound like there's still a female vocalist. A good show, better than DaP 31, though I was happy for an Althea finally with that one and liked that Jack a Roe with Mickey doing the cannon thing on the drums. I'd be prepared for the next show from this tour to also not be 12/1/79. Dave pretty much gave that away, he's doubling down on turning everybody onto the shows that are better than 12/1. At least that's my somewhat cynical take on it.

Daverock, Donovan was great, and ahead of his time. Taught the Beatles finger picking while they were in India together, quite instrumental in the White Album that followed. Sunshine Superman is one of the earliest, if not the first session to feature Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass. Page claims playing on half of the songs put out from London in the mid-60s, and JPJ was also a popular session musician, but I think this may have been their earliest together, think I read that somewhere. And of course, There Is a Mountain had such an earworm of a melody that Jerry Garcia would play it in Alligator often, and later occasionally in GDTRFB, think I heard it teased in He's Gone once as well. And Duane and Gregg Allman, opening for the Dead as The Hour Glass caught a few of these, and Duane decided that would be suitable for a jam up to an hour, but typically a good half hour of jamming one little theme. (I suspect New Potato Caboose also caught their ear, because it sounds remarkably like Dreams, which Gregg wrote in LA before coming to Jacksonville.)

Okay, now off to the Phish from Vermont at SPAC. Didn't go last night, and okay with that setlist. Only bummed about Simple, means I will get to 20 shows without seeing one, got to be an insane aberrational stat, like seeing 20 Dead shows and not seeing a Wharf Rat or something of that nature. Oh well, gonna You Enjoy Myself and feel good about Hood and not worry about being a Slave to the Traffic Light, and if I am, can always get a Tweezer to while away the time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Alvarhanso - good to see you giving the thumbs up for Donovan. I saw him in 2011, when he played the entire "Sunshine Superman" album live at The Royal Albert Hall. Shawn Phillips played sitar on a number of tracks, and Jimmy Page himself came on for the actual song. A great concert all round.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I also like Buddy Miles version from his solo album.
Nice horn arrangement on that one.
Did band of Gypsies with Buddy ever cover that I wonder?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Just saw the Flaming Lips last night at the Kettlehouse Ampitheater in Bonner Montana. Good show, cool venue, and the pink puppets that Proudfoot saw at the show he peeked in at were supposed to be the pink robots that Yoshimi battled as the first set was a start to finish run through of the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots album. They put on a good show and, yeah, they are pretty psychedelic, well worth checking out. Lot of cool, genuinely weird and groovy stuff in their catalogue.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Yellow sun is goin' down so slow
(Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow)
Doin' acid and watchin' the light bugs glow
(Glow, glow, glow, glow, glow, glow)
Like tiny spaceships in a row
(Row, row, row, row, row, row)
The coolest thing I'll ever know
(Know, know, know, know)
John's still a greaser
And Tommy's gone off to war
James got busted
And doesn't give a fuck anymore
Oh, my God
Why is it them?
Oh, my God
Now it's me
Orange flowers bursting into bloom
(Bloom, bloom, bloom, bloom)
Neptune, Saturn, Jupiter, the Moon
John's still a greaser
And Tommy's gone off to war
James got busted
And doesn't give a fuck anymore
Oh, my God
Why is it them?
Oh, my God
Now it's me
Oh, my God
Why is it them?
Oh, my God
Now it's me
Hmm, yeah
Alright, cool

Sounded great live.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

John Cipollina would have been 80 on August 24. He died way too young, on May 29, 1989, at age 45. His cause of death was alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, which he suffered from most of his life and which is exacerbated by smoking. I had the honor to interview him twice for Dead Head TV, and he had a wicked sense of humor. Today in his honor, I have re-released the Dead Head TV tribute to John which aired a few months after his death.

Check out the DTV tribute to John Cipollina on dreamswedreamed dot com.

RIP Bob Barker. Not a music figure, but a legend is a legend.

Also, I happened upon Quicksilver Messenger Service Happy Trails earlier today on that music streaming tube. Now I find out it's John Cippolina's birth date.

Cool. Thank you, JC.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

One of the true greats. He got one of the best sounds out of an electric guitar of anybody I have ever heard - and "Happy Trails" is a great album . Another one to look out for from this lineup of Quicksilver is the "Live at The Fillmore" double cd set from 6/7/68. It's come out in various formats over the years - but that one has the best sound. Similar songs to the ones on "Happy Trails" but with the added bonus of a few songs from their first album. Higher energy than "Happy Trails" but maybe less spacey.
I nearly mentioned the 4 man Quicksilver band - with both John and Gary Duncan in the lineup - as one of the bands I would most like to have seen but didn't.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Indeed one of the great guitarists. I don't think Quicksilver ever made it across the pond but I was fortunate enough to see the Gravenites - Cipollina Band at Dingwall's Dance Hall in Camden, north London. Two greats in one band! Nick Gravenites has always been a favourite of mine and to see him onstage with Cipollina was a wonderful experience, particularly in a small, intimate venue. With Al Staehely on bass and Marcus David on drums they were a really tight band. As Daverock said, the sound that Cipollina got out of his guitar and rig was awesome.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by simonrob

bout due for another binge, dug the 89 stuff I’ve seen so far!

Need to learn more about ole Batman, another great, and great band that I’m way behind the curve!

Bob Barker. Ever since I saw Happy Gilmore, I’ll never think of him otherwise again, which is nice!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Great John Cipollina Documentary called Recoil, check it out. What a great guitar player!

in 1987 methinks when he played as part of the Dinosaurs. North of Seattle, a place called Parker's.

He, Barry Melton, Country Joe McDonald, and several others. Maybe Merl Saunders and Peter Albin.

I'm very glad I went to that show.

You know who was most pumped about Derek joining the boys? Yours truly. He and Jimmy Herring have been my top living guitarists for 25 years, and I was fortunate enough to catch Derek when he last sat in 7-7-99 in Charlotte. Caught him four days later at the same Blockbuster Pavilion with the Allman Brothers, on his first tour after Warren Haynes and Allen Woody left in March of 1997, Derek was wanted then, but was too young, so they had Jack Pearson for a year and a half before Derek got the job in '99, and held for 15 years. He blew me away that first time seeing him, but Dickey Betts was just as monstrous a player beside him, and pushed Derek as much as he got pushed. No matter what they say about Dickey's last year in the Allmans, all four shows I saw him play '98-'99, he was every bit as good if not better than Jack Pearson or Derek, still sharp, no signs of drinking, or being overly loud. Anyway, Derek shows up to jam with Phish was like a dream come true back in '99 at my second Phish show. They did Funky Bitch and Possum, the first a Son Seals blues tune, the second a Phish original that was tonight's encore, a nice easy blues rocker with tension and release. I already dug the show, but him on the encore was delicious cream cheese frosting on top (hate cherries). Five years later, I got to see him guest with String Cheese at the Jerry Garcia Birthday Bash, and it was just as exhilirating. They did a rocking, Allman-esque original into Wayne Shorter/Miles Davis tune Footprints, where Derek really lets loose. The String Cheese guitarist, Billy Nershi, makes a typical sarcastic remark as Derek leaves, that "He'd be good if he practiced more, jeez", which I recall the crowd didn't take as intended. Luckily, Derek didn't seem to mind, as he came back for the encore (after Cheese debuted Deal) of Way Back Home> On the Road, an African-prog tune that went into a middle eastern jam with Derek into another Allmans-esque song (Southbound).

Tonight's sit in with Phish was the last hour of the show. They could've whipped out a Derek and the Dominoes tune, an Allmans tune, hell, Joe Cocker. In the first set in Twist, I think (after they did a pronounced The Wheel Jam), Trey teased With a Little Help From My Friends, the Cocker version, just the Jimmy Page opening riff. Nice serendipity there. But the whole first set was quite good, from the rocking, classic Free opener to funky Wolfman's to solid Maze, the newer tunes were good, Pillow Jets sounds like a Who song and Sigma Oasis sounds a lot like Runaway Jim at the beginning. But Tube was nice and funky, a little spacey jam with Page on clavinet, then the Twist with Wheel Jam into the Hood I wanted. And I mean that, as it was a delightful Hood all the way through. Second set started nice and deep jam in Down with Disease (my personal first in 20 years, just 11 shows since then), but a smooth as silk segue to Ghost then led right to a major key switch a few minutes in, and thought they were gonna do Sweet Jane, nice jam into 2001, which basically served as an Elvis-like intro to Derek freaking Trucks.

He came out, they did Golden Age, a TV on the Radio cover, they killed that, then they did the newer Phish song Everything's Right, and had a raging guitargument onstage. It was glorious! A Life Beyond the Dream featured more measured fills by Derek on slide and standard. He was quite interchangeable. Most improbably after he handled two, obviously rehearsed newer Phish songs, they came to the end of the set for a raucous finish with First Tube. Never in a million years would I have guessed this one. They do the first "verse" of this funky, endlessly grooving instrumental with Derek accentuating, they get to "verse 2", and he plays harmony, and the crowd flips out. The encore break after the Jedi Trey feedback and general cacaphony of that crescendo had my ears ringin' somethin'awful in the long, quiet encore break. A lot of people were leaving to beat the traffic, but it seemed as if people were stunned silent. Anyway, they come back, and luckily, Derek is in tow again, and they launch into Possum, which was a fitting capper to an awesome night.

I stopped seeing Phish in 2003 after a terrible couple of shows in a row. Their breakup in 2004 didn't change that, but I did go to Knoxville 2009, it was great, Trey was sober, and they had obviously rehearsed and practiced the crazy difficult songs, so saw them basically annually when they came to NC. When I moved north a few years ago, thought I'd see tons of shows, but just two. And these are my only shows since COVID started. But since 2009, I've only seen one bad show, and one mediocre show, the rest have been good to excellent to legendary (for Phish). Those legendary would be 8-26-12 and 6-21-19, missing out on 6-17-11 by a Maxwell Smart that much. Just hope it doesn't take more devastation to get more shows.

By the way search the interwebs for tonight's show, the video may stay up on the youtoobs, last night is still playing, so tonight should be up permanently one would hope, especially since people might still give to the benefit linqs. Check it out, some awesome music tonight. At least, I thought so.

Not often you see those two names together. Still. It must have been great to see John C. with whatever band he was a part of - I never knew about that gig with Nick Gravenites. It was probably before I started travelling to London. The closest I ever got to seeing him live would have been that tour he did with Man, around 1975. It was over before I knew about it.

PF - when I first started getting Dead tapes, around 1987,the guy who used to do them for me was also into The Dinosaurs, and he did a few good tapes of their shows for me. Robert Hunter also performed with them sometimes.
Much later - 2004 in fact, I have it here, a double cd of The Dinosaurs came out - "Friends of Extinction" - one cd live, one studio.

As for Slade...the first rock n' roll record I ever got, in Fall 1971 was their single "Get Down And Get With It". There is a version of that on the 1972 album "Slade Alive!" that has to be heard to be believed. It has possibly the greatest rock singing I have ever heard from anyone from any era. Incredible tonsils that man must have had. My Dad thought it was hilarious.
They were desperately uncool at the time though. They started misspelling titles of their songs, and started to seem almost like a comedy act after a while. I still liked them, but I didn't go on about it. If anyone asked me who I liked, I said Gong.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

DaveRock- I have a retired firefighter neighbour that is crazy about Slade, one of his all time favourites. He plays guitar, even has a small studio in his home, and has everything Slade ever released legally, illegally, or in between. Except for the early 70s when I was in high school, I have never heard anyone ever mention them.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by That Mike

Been away in Maine for the last ten days, holy smokes 15 pages of posts to catch up. Fishing, light hiking, nearly off the grid, no television, music from WERU Blue Hill and WMEB UMaine Bangor student station, eclectic mix to say the least. At Lobster Boat Races off Long Island Casco Bay, top speed was 63 mph, that's fast for a lobster boat. A very good friend had offered me lawn tickets to Phish SPAC, but that was a show too far. Did listen to the Friday night on the drive back, the noon Serious day after show, really nice version of Velvet Sea. Back just in time for a reggae concert last night, so Vermont, about 100 people dancing on the grass outside an old barn mountainside with a 5 piece band and local brewery, Thai buffet. LIve street music in Hanover today, Della Mae outdoor show Wednesday. Live music is the best! Hope everyone is having a great end of summer.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

I found a video of them pre-glam in 1969 outfitted in skinhead garb performing Martha My Dear. With a violin, no less.

Truly bizarre.

I of course know Cum On Feel The Noize from Quiet Riot's cover in 1984. I've heard of Slade mostly in passing and as an influence on punk's creation.

Thank you for the insights, gentlemen.

PS crapcha images have begun showing up again. Please, NO!

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Never owned anything by them but enjoyed their early singles once they’d abandoned the skinhead phase. Unfortunately, for me at least, their name is forever associated with the Xmas song which seems to be playing on a loop in every shop that I go into in the run up to Christmas. Over the years I find that I just don’t want to hear it again.

I noticed a short article in my newspaper the other day saying that a study had identified that machines could identify Recaptcha items faster than humans so they’re not very useful anymore.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Slade were a great singles band for a few years, I really liked them as a 12 year old but I think an album of their stuff might be pushing it a bit. Comic glam. Noddy Holder did have a phenomenal voice. I think they were from Wolverhampton, same neck of the woods as Robert Plant. Their Christmas song ' Merry Christmas Everybody ' is by far the best Christmas song ever produced and the royalties from it has made them rich men, it's omnipresent for a couple of months in the UK leading up to the end of the year.

I saw the John Cipollina-Man tour at the Southend Kursaal Ballroom Dave. All I remember about it is my mate throwing up over my shoes. We'd taken something that didn't agree with him.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Nick1234

There was a split in England, from about 1969 to 1972, between "albums" bands and "singles" bands. Bands who had hit singles were considered to have less artistic merit than those who had hit albums. Slade were firmly in the singles band category - along with T. Rex once they'd gone electric. Albums bands - some of them, like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin didn't even bother with singles in that time span. Singles bands were deemed to be for teenyboppers, or worse...girls.
Occasionally, a heavy band would have a hit single - Hawkwind had one. But they always professed to be embarrassed by it, saying it wasn't typical of their work. Even though it was. And they wouldn't play it live until their popularity started to slide a bit.
It seemed to end, this way of looking at things, with David Bowie, Roxy Music, Rod Stewart/The Faces, Mott The Hoople and a few others who were good in both formats. These bands and artists seemed to have less to do with the late 60's culture than pure albums bands.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

You have seen me post about my late friend Craig. He had many official releases and box sets of GD. I got his bootlegs and his widow kept the official stuff.

She is interested in selling some.

The question is...

Where would be the best place to offer it all up? eBay comes to mind, but there must be other places to sell it for a good price.

Any insights on this are appreciated.

I've never done it online, but I have bought a few ( and then some) off discogs, which lists private sellers. It looks as though it might be quite secure site for sellers, too - especially if they have quite a few items to sell.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I think DaveRock is right - Discogs would be one of the better sites to sell the items one at a time, to ensure that items are sold for their proper (ie - rare, collector status, condition, etc) value. Selling to a marketplace vendor, such as the ones on Amazon, would likely pay for the whole, but not take into account value for rare pieces. Discogs recently did some upgrades (they said in a mailing) to ensure their system was secure; PayPal is a requisite.
I’ve wondered about the same thing, too, as my brother in law passed a few months ago, and he had a pretty decent collection, so his widow is wondering what to do, and I’ve wondered what I’ll do to sell my modest collection - I’d certainly look into Discogs, but it will take some work and some time to sell a collection. You’re a good man for helping her out, good luck!

Derek Trucks playing with Phish would have been epic. I’m hoping the Sirius channel replays it again.

Edit - Proudfoot - Dennis certainly knows a thing or two about collections, and may have some great ideas. Put up the Dennis Bat signal, and see what he says.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

PM

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

It was definitely electric ( and acoustic), what an absolute blast! French's Camp is up in the Redwoods right next to the Eel River. Garcia played a great show, and it was one loose scene. Definitely the coolest place I've ever seen a show! Big Fun!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....if I go before my wife, I believe she would do me right

PF - I might be well out of order here, and I apologise if I am, but I wondered if it would it be acceptable to offer box sets for sale on here, given the circumstances you describe. If so there might be a fair few conditions - including not shipping outside the U.S. ,which would be fine by me. It was just a thought. Might be a hassle, thinking a bit more!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

...Speaking of killer vocals. Uriah Heep anyone?? Surely David Byron qualifies??

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html