• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Attended Peter Gabriel show this past Saturday. My first time seeing him.

It was a good show. He is in fine voice for being in his early 70's. His band was very good. Half of the show was new stuff. Some of it was pretty good, Panopticom, i/o, Playing for Time all very good. Some of the other new stuff was slow, which normally is not a bad thing but slow and unknown is maybe not a good combination. Between every song was 30-60 seconds of commentary from Gabriel about world problems, introducing artists who contributed to the presentation, introducing a song, talking about his past, etc. Of course the older stuff rocked.

Unfortunately I was surrounded by a group of people who talked through the entire show. They knew each other and kept switching seats to talk. Why do people insist on talking during a concert? Why are they even there if they are not listening? As the music gets louder, they get louder. At one point I yelled "Shut Up!" Everyone around stopped and looked at me. No one said anything. They kept it quiet for about 5 minutes than back to the group chat. Gabriel talking so much between songs didn't help matters. One idiot even said "Ooh this is a really good song" then proceeded to yak through the entire song.

Sorry about the rant. It was an enjoyable show but could have been so much more. Other posters here have expressed this more eloquently than me but it appears that selfish, rude people have become the norm. I really like live music but this experience made me question whether I want to go to a large venue like this again.

....the correct en vogue term is chompers. And yes. They suck. Had a few around us at a recent Weezer concert. If you want to talk to your friends, do it on the concourse dammit! Concerts are not sporting events. I'm ok with chompers at those.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Screw eloquent.
Why do people pay ridiculous sums of money for tix, especially the criminal fees! (Legalized robbery), and all tge other time/resources just to go talk all night?
Isn’t that what bars are for?
Maybe if people still talked to each other on the phone or at work, instead of just texting, they wouldn’t need to do so at concerts?
The camera BS too, why go to a show, just to be distracted trying to get videos?
BITD, we took as little as possible into shows, (usually only just a ticket and a, ahem, supplies, sometimes an empty wine bag to fill with water), often split from friends so you didn’t have to talk but could find a good spot to fully engage and actually LISTEN to the music. What a concept: going to a concert to actually listen to music 🙀

I guess they do it now at movies too?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

... but my congressional representative was just thrown out of the play Beetlejuice in a Denver theater. Apparently showing her soon to be ex-husband that she is having a good time without him. And she got caught on film vaping in the theater (which she later lied about doing) and had refused to stop when the pregnant woman behind her ask her to stop vaping. Add some flash photo selfies to the list along with the loud talking and inappropriate singing and she wonders why they asked her to leave, which of course she refused to do until the cops were on the way. She and her date gave everyone involved a one finger salute on the way out with a few choice words to cap it off.
Takes all kinds.
Cheers

Ahhh democracy, err gerrymandering in action, only way she could win…
Just think how much safer the world would be if she accidentally shot herself with that hidden gun she keeps up her…

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

This^^^^

And I think people are so insecure these days they can't coexist in a few minutes of silence. If they would be split from their friends full meltdown would occur.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by delhead

Less well known is the fact that Jean-Paul Sartre, like Cary Grant, also tripped out before it became commonplace. He was apparently injected with mescaline in 1935. Unlike Cary Grant, though, he seems to have had a terrible time. Good news for the likes of me, though, as their comparative experiences showed you don't have to be an intellectual to navigate inner space. In fact, it could get in the way.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

New series: Heads & Tails, vinyl.
What do you think of this way of marketing his music?
Very inventive.
Will it catch on?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

GRRRRRRRRR.

I remember an Elton John show...BLAHBLAHBLAH

Some GD recordings:
1/21/71. HOT music. however...BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.
6/28/85: first set sequence of Birdsong > Comes a Time > Deal. Look at that. During Comes a Time...BLAHBLAHBLAH.

SHUT!
THE!!
FUCK!!!
UP!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 7 months

It does look cool, I may have to get a record player.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....minor rant here so bear with me.
I like sports. Announcers? Not so much, depending on who it is. So when Collingsworth calls Sunday night games, I cringe, so I put on music and watch the game. I can understand whats happening without hearing all the blah, blah, blah. I've said this before, however, during the Miami/NE game I went with Led Zeppelin I after the first quarter. Then went with II. Then III.
Funny how the music somehow coincides with what's going on during games sometimes. It can't just be me, can it?
Anyways. Led Zep was the perfect choice.
Heartbreaker was playing when Mac threw an int.
Bring It On Home as Miami was doing just that.
Celebration Day started as the game ended. Cool.
IV is playing now. Been a minute since I went all Zep in.
I just gave away my last five, didn't I?
Oops. Megadeths Countdown To Extinction was in there somewhere.
Edit. Spotify is funny. IV ended and segued into Driven To Tears by The Police. Momentum shifting.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I concur with disdain for Chompers - they can truly take you out of the moment and if they are persistent and loud it just has an overall negative impact on everyone in the vicinity. It's sort of inescapable but I am with others who are like, WFT are you HERE for if you just want to chomp all the damn time?!?!? One of the other things that I'm not too keen on these days is the need to have your phone with you to get into everything/everywhere. The days of paper tickets are over; no more keepsakes or mementos to hold on to as a physical reminder of the show. Instead we're left to have to whip out the phone 1000 times, hope the battery doesn't die, hope I don't lose it, etc., etc. And, let's just say, when I'm flying hiiiiigh during shows one of the last things I want to do is have constant interactions with electronics. Just leave me the music to deal with and the other stuff should fall away.

All that said, hitting the 2x Goose shows last week in Boston were all and everything I wanted them to be (aside from the torrential deluge most of the evening the 1st night); the music was just incredible pushing every notable boundary with insane energy. So psyched their fall tour has begun - they'll be running pretty much through the fall and through November, so lots of new stuff awaits these eager ears. Nugs is your best friend for this viewing/listening - it's all there.

In summary, Chompers suck; I prefer paper tickets, Goose rocks, and you All are awesome peeps.

Be Well!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

You say you paid $150.00 just to have a conversation with music in the background?? Do you have all of your faculties sir/maam??
I was at a Sunday Phish show at Merriweather and the youngsters were talking furiously during YEM. When it got to the vocal jam, I had to say LOUDLY, "yes the vocal jam is great, but how about we LISTEN to it??
Sheesh, kids today. They seem to have more dollars than sense.

Heads And Tails. Ideally, it would be a bit "budget priced", just by the cut-up nature of it??

What was it Brian Wilson said??...I just wasn't made for these times. Yeah, that's SO right Brian!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Isn't that what bars and Taylor Swift concerts are for?

yea.. no ticket stubs, what a bummer.

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

I have no vinyl setup. Thus I will not be participating.
That you for axing.

My condolences for you both. Getting old is not for wimps. Been dealing with my ailing father and my brother. All 3 of us aren't in great health. Learning that old gospel lesson, one day at a time. Truly comes as the years go by.

Hope others are well.

Yep, I think 2023 is my last live show year. Have a few more, but all venues are now digital. On a couple of shows bought a prepaid card so I wouldn't have to use my debit or credit card. It helps me stay within budget. A few drinks in me and I can spend. "Yep another round."

I have a few more shows this year. We have Willie Nelson's Outlaw show, and both Drive By Truckers and Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. A few more I am deciding on. But think I am done. Think I am going to complete the streaming live concept by joining Nugs and LivePhish. Still wish they would live stream the last 2 Meet Up at the Movies. No theaters here carried, only 2 I have missed. I would definitely pay decent money to stream both, like a package deal, maybe $30 for both???

Have had a big year this year. Went to an interesting concert a few months back George Jones tribute "Still Playing Possum." Was a touching tribute to ole George. Truly a "He Stop Loving Her Today" moment. Lots of great music. Although I am not a huge fan of a couple of the younger performers. I dont know but county music with Roland 808 drum/bass added is a little much. Still a great tribute by his wife. The concert is coming to theaters nationwide October 17th if anybody likes ole Possum. His version of Patches is one of my favorites, first done by Dickey Lee, then Clarence Carter (Grammy), but the Possum's version is my favorite. Tickets at fathom events dot bomb. It has been almost 50 years since the first time I saw the Possum. He has not been in rotation much lately, may need to do a mini deep dive.

Have a call to take, more in a bit. Have loved the 85 Red Rocks shows for a loooong thyme. 9/7/85 was one of the very first tapes I received. After that is when I started hunting for tapes instead of just receiving tapes. This was early 1986 before Jerry got sick. Jerry got sick and then my whole world changed tremendously. I had been a head almost 4 years but still hadn't seen a show. So as I have written before my first shows were at Oakland/Kaiser Auditorium. A long way from home...

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I wrote last year about seeing Elvis a couple of times locally in 1975.

Last year end up buying a cd of one of the shows and it is good.

Was looking thru some stuff and came across a post card of my local city. It is a picture of a large spring which the city still uses for part of its drinking water. It now puts out roughly a million gallons of water a day. On this ancient postcard, the spring was pumping a million gallons an hour, almost endlessly.

Wish I could have set up a Still there. Speaking of, anybody ever heard or heard of Moonshine Still. They were a very good jam band. Need to go see if they are still around. Once I joined here, so many other things faded away. I am sure some around here may have seen them or Donna the Buffalo. Both great bands. Someone wrote a few weeks ago about seeing Col. Bruce Hampton and Aquarium Rescue Unit. Have seen Bruce in many iterations, including the Rescue Unit last time was maybe 2006, with the Code Talkers. That was a wild show/party! Seen Bruce maybe 10 times, his death was unthinkable. Ahh the Hampton Grease Band. Love that old picture showing Col. Bruce opening for GD. Think that is Atlanta Pop Festival 1969, memory fuzzy.

I record video at concerts.
I’ve recorded some pretty good stuff.
Check it out on the ole utoob, search for channel:
DeadFloyd69

There’s even some Col. Bruce and Aquarium Rescue Unit.
That’s Herring’s son playing guitar for a song.

Waiting for pizza to pick up

David Bowie's Golden Years on PA

loooove it

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Saw Glenn Hughes last week. Totally sober, for my own reasons but unusual. Wanted to experience the show as Glenn does.

Fucking amazing. The man is to this day a beautiful specimen with an ageless voice and energy. Great band. Threw out many anecdotes of Tommy Bolin, which, if you've ever lived in Boulder, may have meaning. Even dropped a couple gems off "Come Taste the Band." Glenn has been long known as the Voice of Rock and, ladies and gents, it is not undeserved. The man deserves a much larger stage.

Saw Clapton Saturday night in Denver. Mellow show, but really dug the bookend of what will be my final live Slowhand experience I'm sure. Could give a fuck less about his politics, etc. Crossroads II: Live in the Seventies is about as good as rock and roll has ever gotten.

Have GNR tickets, probably Eagles and definitely Aerosmith. I like to rock. I also like languid Dead, like "Comes a Time," "Ramble on Rose," etc. Room for everything.

Peace everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

17 years

Amazon is selling Without a Net LP made by grateful Dead Productions for a Nov 10th release date. Has this been released anywhere on the site?

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by drpryan

Not to my knowledge

So many vinyl editions of GD

"I remember when they tried to kill vinyl back in the '80s..."

- Old Man Jenkins

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by drpryan

Looks like your latest work will be scrumptious.

He just released a Garcia/Hunter album called "A Lovely View of Heaven." Nice.

Here is a quote from write up...

"The LP serves as an intimate and personal voyage for Burbridge, who uses the songs of Garcia and Hunter as a means to navigate his own grief following the loss of his father, brother Kofi Burbridge, and mentor Col. Bruce Hampton.

Reflecting on this cathartic process, Oteil shares, “Looking back, I don’t feel like I was able to really process all the pain from these huge losses until I started working on these ballads. All these arrangements were written through many tears. And all the vocal tracks were recorded that way as well. It is my sincere hope that this album will be a catalyst for listeners to process their pain as it was for me.”"

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Thinking of growing old, experiencing loss, developing health problems etc etc - I've gone through all of that myself over the last 20 years or so - and I am sure there will be much more to come ! But I'm still far happier at 66 than I was at 16. Or 26 come to that.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

While bouncing around the archive found a section call "Jam Cruise Jam Room".

Found a good chunk of shows recorded by Charlie Miller,,, I think mostly Steve Kimock. Like he was the official recorder for Steve. But some really GREAT shit and Great recordings. You know the man can clean up other's people recordings, but his own are VERY good.

For those in the know, I will probably be posting these shows. There isn't a lot of titles they just seem to jam, though the 20 minute "Stand by Me" was great, backup vocals sounded like Sarah Fulcher from Garcia 12.

Also, working one downloading all the Everyone Orchestra,,,, some GREAT stuff there.

Enjoy

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months 2 weeks

My first post here - had a hard time getting it right.. 52, lives in Denmark - Deadhead since about 1988.. saw the guys just once - one afternoon long ago.. in Sweden 1990 - gone are the days.. Not a big fan of Daves 47.. I think the weakest Pick for many years.. Probably the greatest band in the world..

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Have been a follower since the Trapeze days, loved that Madusa LP. Big fan of Richie Blackmore when he was with Purple, and of course Tommy Bolin, one of the best for sure, he was great with the James Gang and Deep Purple and finally gets his own recognition and releases two great lps and poof, he's gone. So cool to see Glenn, still rockin.
Not a big fan of Clapton, loved Cream, and Blind Faith, after that, not so much. I have seen him many times, always seen to see him on a day or nite when he just ain't there. In the 70's when I saw him, too drunk to play, in the 80's same just a sloppy drunk guy trying to play even with that great band he had in the 80[s he just seemed to always dissapoint me. In the 90's sounded like an album was playing, very homogenized and no real flair. Always wanted to catch him on an on nite, never did.
Ledded hope the Eagles don't disapoint, they have always been top notch when I was lucky enough to see them. Aerosmith, loved them in the 70's, when Steven and Joe were knows as the toxic twins. Saw Tyler fall off of a stage, hit the floor and never miss a lick in the 70s, he was quite the showman in his prime, should be a rocker too.
I was thinking about Peter Gabriel this fall but I have this great memory of his Secret World tour and I just don't think he could be better than that. Even if I could get into the same frame of mind as I was back then, and the cost is way more.
Lots of cool shows coming up, just got to poke around.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

plenty tasty to me

certainly better that 8/28/88 (not a release, I know)

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Welcome to the club!! Jump right in, the water is fine.

Was at Merriweather Post Pavilion last night for a re-scheduled "Chicks" concert. Great show, impressive ratio of women to men. But these children!! Yap, yap, yap, all night long. I tried my best to tune it out. One song finally got quiet when the audience was able to recognize that the video screen was filled with women & girls, and that this was a song they just MIGHT want to listen to.

Does anyone actually LOVE music anymore, FFS??

user picture

Member for

17 years

Love your city, not that I've been there since 1971. Welcome! (There's a Dead Heads of Europe thread as well, which isn't nearly as active as this one, but may be helpful in connecting with locals.)

I had a good time in Copenhagen during my brief visit many decades ago. 1981, in fact. Jesu, the days we have seen.

Welcome! As others have said "You Can Jump Right In."

Speaking of Roger Glover, I post on here about a great show I saw at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans, in May (?) 2003. It was a Govt Mule show in tribute to Allen Woody, bass player for the Allman Brothers Band and then Govt Mule. Allen Woody had passed away three years earlier and it was a devastating loss. So Warren Haynes had this tribute called "The Deepest End." He invited bass players from many genres to join the tribute for Allen Woody. I always recommend people get the dvd/2cd set as it is an incredible journey in music. Here is a list of the bass players that played that night:

Jack Bruce
Oteil Burbridge
Bootsy Collins
John Entwistle
Flea
Roger Glover
Mike Gordon
Larry Graham
Stefan Lessard
Dave Schools
Mike Watt
Willie Weeks
Chris Wood
Jack Casady
Les Claypool
Billy Cox
Alphonso Johnson
Phil Lesh
Tony Levin
Me'shell Ndegeocello
Jason Newsted
George Porter, Jr.
Rocco Prestia
Dave Schools
Chris Squire

Maybe that will entice some bass players (Alvarhonso?, maybe OB Wan)) to give it a listen. It was a great show but it was Jazz Fest, so it was long, clocking in at over 8 hours. No way I could do that today.

Edit: Walked away and then confused Roger Clover for Glenn Hughes. Hate that the ole control panel circuits are fraying.

Dave Rock: I agree 100%. Even though the body breaks down, I too am happier today than any other time in my life. Well, except in shorts bursts of Grateful Dead shows and all its accoutrements.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

When we were young, "Why am I here?" was the big existential question.
Now it's what I ask myself when I walk into the other room and can't remember what I went in there for. Wife laughed when I told her this a few minutes ago and said you gotta tell the Deadheads that. So I did. Pretty good, I remembered why I started this post. Score!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hi Danehead and welcome! My Denmark anecdote - in the mid 90s my wife was trekking through Europe with her then hubby, and travelling by train in a lovely area just north of Copenhagen, when she runs into her brother-in-law on the train, who was touring over there as a wanna be musician. She had no idea he was there, because he was living in South Carolina (still does), and she was living in Toronto. Small world.

Gary - Your mention of Oteil makes me think of an album I played the other day that features him - Vida Blue (who was a great pitcher in the day, but I digress). An interesting little band with Page McConnell from Phish, a pretty jazzy sound. Worth a listen if you find it.

Played Bombino “Live in Amsterdam” this morning- one heck of a guitarist, thanks again DHBrewer for the heads up on this guy.

As for unruly people at concerts, you see it constantly at movie theatres, but I find venue makes a difference - if it is one of the 100+ year old opera style houses that every town has, with ornate Victorian design, I find the bands they book tend to draw a better group of fans, less disruptive. The arena shows are a free for all. Noise, talking, phones. I don’t go to many shows anymore, more because the ticket business would be more honest if it was run by the Mob, just crazy now, but truth is, most of the performers I like have either hung it up, or shook this mortal coil. I actually feel bad that young people didn’t have the joy of lining up for tickets, meeting other like minded fans in the line (not scalpers), and the joy of walking away with actual tangible tickets you could flash like a badge to your buddies.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Love Denmark! Wife's uncle lived about 15 min from Tondor .... loved Ribe, Skagen, and other ones I can't recall .... and can't get enough of Copenhagen ... been there at least 4x and have a couple of trips planned in the next 2 years .... tcc

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

17 years

Purely for personal feels… Two shows I’d love to have as Dave’s Picks.

Merriweather Post 06/30/85
Richfield Coliseum 09/08/90

I suspect these are well embedded in many tape collections. They were two early entries during my burgeoning tape trading forays. Both are available in exceptional quality at the usual repository. These facts lead me to believe that even if folks were like minded in their appreciation of the two performances, no official release will happen any time soon. Too available and too good a quality of sound to warrant special treatment. Mores the shame.

Merriweather’s Shakedown could be on repeat all night long and I’d be happy. The Richfield, in my mind, is just about THE perfect home stretch Dead show. I have enjoyed Bruce’s tenure, but I find myself less enthusiastic as time passes for some reason. Like many a Dead phenomenon, when he hit, he really nailed it. But when he was hovering I find his playing just adds a distracting layer in the “jangly” part of the mix. He’s just a little too percussive and concussive too often, and it almost feels like there needs to be a “Hornsby Dolby Reduction” setting that needs to be switched on. He, dare I say, grates! To the point of distraction. In fact I’d be comfortable enough to say that it’s my opinion that there isn’t a Dead show that would miss him. Yes, there are some great moments, but they don’t warrant the detracting and distracting “crunching tin foil” mush that he brings to the table nearly 100% of the time. And, how many times do we need a bloody squeezebox solo tearing a new one through yet another generic standard. The novelty wears thin quickly. Again, just one chaps opinion and no malice intended. Hey, I’d give body parts for an 11/01/90 release because that was my one and only show (and an absolute maelstrom of primal electronic bedlam)! Seriously, any bad (and there’s enough of it believe you me) is more than balanced by the sort of Dead show you really didn’t get “to that extent” once the basic first set - second set start - drumz - and night y’all format became the template. That show is not that show without Bruce.

However! Richfield is not Richfield with Bruce… And Richfield is sublime! Fluid, beautifully improvised, absolutely THE show to demonstrate that 90’s Dead was yet one more brilliant facet of this bands prowess and heart. No Bruce. Just Vince, riding shotgun, occasionally spelling when the journey demanded it but otherwise content to listen and compliment and learn. The mix is stunning. I don’t think you could get closer to a “Whithout a Net” like sound field if you tried. The jams are long and liquid. The whole second set is seamless. The Space is scary and haunting and the old warhorse of Stones/Fade is so solid it demands to be listened to, hard. Likewise the Deal set one closer… Perfect! The MIDI work is sublime and complimentary with Eyes and Estimated clocking in almost a half hour of faultless and considered playing before we ease into yet another perfectly realised little ditty. Terrapin… OK I’ll just get it off my chest and say it… yes, I would shag this show if it were possible (and consensual… obviously. Come on, I’m not an animal!) So, as you can probably tell, I really, really like this show. A LOT!

Second topic. I have been super impressed with the way the Jerry site has been handling its retail experience. Pricing has been incredibly reasonable. Shipping seems to involve a competent courier and they manage things like duty and tax at point of sale which is hugely appreciated by Johnny Foreigners like myself. It’s nice to be able to pick up releases that for the most part aren’t time or volume limited. Being able to pick up the occasional piece of associated art, a t shirt here or there… And to double take at the price not in fear but with incredulity at how reasonable it is… Top marks and I thought I’d just add to the comments bigging up the Jerry releases. You won’t be disappointed.

I’ll leave you with a remark my wife made yesterday… “I really like listening to the Jerry releases. It just sounds like he’s having a lot more fun than he does with the main band.”

Now she listens to the Dead because that’s what I play… a lot. And I’m a bastard music tyrant. She’s OK with the Dead, but she likes the Garcia band releases on their own merit, and I think she’s nailed it to be honest. There’s something about Jerry unencumbered by the all consuming Grateful Dead beast that he definitely displays when playing in his side hustle. Feel free to disagree and educate me otherwise.

PS. I haven’t spell checked or proofed this. It’s too long to do on an iPad and it’s late, and I’m one month away from two years sober and feeling a little chatty. Apologies. If one person enjoys 1% of this splurge… hey. Job done.

Take care all.

Peace

Stephen.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Seemed to be as bored as the rest of us during the 49ers - Giants game this evening. So he started talking about some of the older stadiums where the 49ers played.

That prompted me to listen to 3/23/75 at Kezar Stadium. The SNACK benefit show.

A short set, but Good Lord. I can’t imagine what the Doobie Brothers were thinking to themselves when they had to follow that performance.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....I love discovering new bands. Somali Yacht Club was recommended by a friend.
Pretty cool, pretty cool.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Doingtheneedful

Doing...I got the impression that somewhere along the line, for Jerry, The Dead became a job and the JGB a hobby. That is purely on the basis of listening to recordings, and probably has no basis in fact. Towards the end of my working life, I enjoyed my hobby more than my job- but I was better at my job.
I had never heard of Bruce until I saw him with The Dead, so it felt mighty strange at Wembley 10/30/90, when he started playing that solo piece. Who he?

Gary - yes, it seems to me that it can be a mistake to over identify with our bodies.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by Doingtheneedful

9/1/89 Merriweather Post Pavilion

currently playing in the car for the past week, very enjoyable show

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Listening to PITB from DP 11 (9-27-72 Jersey City) this morning on the GD Channel is Exhibit A why Keith was exactly the right keyboardist for the band at that time. Sublime.

Dennis - LOL!

“Live your life, forget your age.” ~anonymous

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Wow, needful, taking me down memory lane: at those and that 9/1/89 JGB Good Sheet Mon!
I’ve stated much bout 6/30/85, and that Shakedown is mos def RJ! I can still picture the swell of the crowd simultaneously peaking with the music, multiple times! Summer Tour 85 Rocks! WTF David?
9/8/90: hmmmm I’ll have to check that one out again? I recall me and the 20 year old had fun and thought the shows were good, but not RJ? It was a very emotional bittersweet couple of shows. I really dug Ole Brentski so it was very hard, but I remember distinctly feeling that yes, it was the end of one era and start of another, just like when Brent replaced Keith, and it was going to be all right.
Can still feel how I felt the first night: it’s gonna be awright, the Dead are still the Dead. As time went by I didn’t always feel that way about Vince, and I still have a hard time with Long WayHome, but over the years I’ve come to appreciate Vince much more, especially after Bruce left.
9/1/89: what can ya say, the music says it all! Great shows, great time, Cept fucking Bacon pulling us over on the way to Philly show simply because of profiling (what few stickers I had on the Orange Canoe were promptly removed after) and then unconstitutionally violating several search and seizure laws!! Young douche outta his league we us though. And fortunately an older veteran cop came along and basically shut the young prick down and let us go. Which was good as we’d done absolutely nothing illegal (well, at least not that they knew or had evidence of). Found out King George the first was nearby so they were out like rabid dogs that night.
Did have THE best vegetarian Chili in the lot the first night! I’ve sorta copied the recipe for all these years since!

DENNIS: hey Ooooo, cue rim shot!

Day job versus hobby…we’ll, I wouldn’t go that far but the music speaks for itself! Listen to all the extracurricular activities JG got into in the nineties: Ornette Coleman, Sanjay Mishra, Merle, Smoke video, several great things with the Dawg, AND, some of the best JGB shows ever….he seemed to really get into this other stuff and it showed…if only they would have taken another hiatus after Brent passed, sigh…

Al Michaels: guy always seems bored, and he bores the hell outta us. Thank goodness they split he and douchebag Collingsworth up. Always better watching Vguy style with the sound down and the tunes up! It’s cool watching high when the music syncs up with the action.

Mikey, right on, I think Keith and Brent were right guys for the times! Everybody gets all hung up trying to compare.
Why bother it’s completely different AND, in all cases it’s what their employers wanted!
After K they were burnt on just percussive piano, after Brent I heard they didn’t want Hammond’s/Leslie’s all over.
So next time someone want to dis one of em, remember they were doing what they were told. Same with screechy, just doing what the boss says…don’t like due to preference fine, but don’t dis em for being good soldiers just following orders…

Oh, Gary, Bassageddon, looks interesting, thanks for the heads up. Hope I get the time to check it out!
My Bass playing BFF and I used to goof in the bad old days of having a stoned marching band of nothing but bass players. Piccolo basses, six strings, you name it, all marching down along the ave wearing pajamas with little battery powered amps on back pack like rigs lol, ahhh, the hubris of youth ; )

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html