• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...daP 50 release less than 2 weeks away
...Knopfler release good to hear
...FEAT release OKAY

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

Not sure where else to put this, but should I check out Molly and her band at a small club that holds under 700? I love me some bluegrass.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

What a night! Ya had to be there!
First row, Phil’s new bass, new PA, lights etc, and my first time tripping at a show!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Molly is the real deal, you will enjoy. If you can, go early, get down front.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Check out Molly Tuttle doing Standing on the Moon, then check out her version of White Rabbit. Both on Yew No Where Tubes. Should make the decision about whether or not to go see her pretty easy.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Also see Molly's version of this Stones song at Ossipee. Their Satanic Majesties music takes me way back to the late 60s, today drencher, it's been JJ Cale's Naturally.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

....then there's Molly.
You know what you need to do.
Edit.
VGK playoff spot clinched. Now it's just seeding.

I would have looked you up Vguy, but there is no way my beloved would go for connecting with a person I know only online.

LV: there is only one.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

He's almost as weird as me. We met up at the Rocks two years ago. I witnessed the man high-fiving every single person in his row en route to burning one with me.

Maybe proudfoot's wife would love to meet us both! Under, er, concert conditions...

Yeeeehhhhiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

You be careful there, HF.

yes, concert conditions only

;)))

We are indeed an odd lot on this odd little place of a website

One more LV thing is the show Awakening at the Wynn

Top notch production with a w t f plotline

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....moved to Elko (still Nevada), met my wife and drug her back to the heat.
Seen this city morph into pro sports and expansion up into the hills. Traffic is getting exhausting, but first world problems.
Knopflers new record is A+.
Vinyl arrived today.
Even the wife likes it. Bonus points.
That's twice you've come to Vegas Stoltzfus and didn't give me a heads up.
I'm harmless. Unless....
Yeah. I remember your Gov’t name lol.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It is much better this way

Simply weird to see the changes there

Our first visit was 1990

Is there anybody in there

Just n o d if you can hear me

Is there anyone home?

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Perfect accompaniment for this mornings walk

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I put 49 back in again before I put the actual discs away, this was a really solid release. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!
The sound, setlists, playing, four discs! And it's an interesting period I think, not alot of exposure. I hope the next one is as much fun...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Mas Fina!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Is not enough mister d l

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

E
R
E

N
O
T

J
U
S
T

B
L
O
W
I
N
G

S
M
O
K
E

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

More eighty five goodness
Mucho Garcias!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

'72
E72 The Complete Recordings, By far my all time favorite release ever.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...there is SMOKE there is Fire, HIGH anticipation for a summer '85 BOX in 2025,
cause, ya know, conception began this month, and
currently weeding out shows for an 8 show box [6/14 thru 9/15]

it's all a dream we dreamed, one afternoon long ago

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I, Too, thought an 85 box set could be in the cards. The main reason being ( we're so jazzed to release more of this great year) part of #49 liner notes. Maybe i'm reading to much into it, who knows.

Like every year, i'm totaly stoked to hear the news regardless of era!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

They've got a few choice '67 Grease shows in stock. Let's have 'em!

The focus on this special release (in my head) is Pigpen as leader of the GD, so drop the remaining '66/'67 Grease shows on us. Follow that with the remaining Six-Headed '68 Beast shows, including the latest discoveries.

THEN we can settle down to the rest of the Vault. If you question this selection, just think about it. Who the hell cares anymore about '66/'67 Grease? Only the dodderheads who gather here...

I'm all for a 66-67-68 box, but more for the lightning than the grease.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Yes I’m down with primal faster than ole pig with a seventeen year old, but, like they say on the mountain: if yer gonna go, go big! 66-70!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

My favorite show in thirty trips. They apparently used patches from 4 different sources to pull the show together.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

4 sources? Masterful editing job, can't tell. Now my question on this show is: is there a third drummer on that funky Drums and Soul Sacrificish Jam before The Other One? Also, I believe this is one of the shows with the Miles Davis Quintet that featured Tony Williams and John McLaughlin. My God, what an unbelievable weekend that must have been.

Edited to add: no McLaughlin or Williams, but Chick Corea, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Airto Moreira, and Steve Grossman on sax. And it was 4 nights, but April 9-12. Alas. Still they were fresh off that buzzing experience confronting another form of experimental music from a master. And that is one of the better shows in that massive box. '67, '69, '74, and '77 are my other favorites. Not big on the '72 or '73 shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....admittingly it's been a while. Brb.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

From the big box. I played that one yesterday, and it is indeed excellent. The Scarlett-Fire, and..especially the spiralling jam from Wharf Rat back into Playing are the highlights.

4/15/70 may be next - although I was so impressed with the 77 show I dibbed into 5/5/77 afterwards. Great Sugaree in the second song first set slot.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Alvarhanso - as you noted in your edit (which I didn't catch at first) the 4 shows where Miles Davis Quintet opened for the GD are 4/9 - 4/12 at Fillmore West. 4/15 is first show after that run. If anyone is interested in how the MDQ sounded in that run, the second night, 4/10 was released as Black Beauty: Miles Davis at the Fillmore West, first as a double LP in 1973 (import in US) which seemingly treated the set as one long improv (no proper song titles) and then a CD in 1997 that had actual song titles (I bought the CD a few years ago but can't remember if I knew it was one of "those" shows at the time).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Is available for preorder!!!! The cover art has a New York feel to it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Tracklist
CD 1
Palladium, New York City, NY (5/3/77)
1.PROMISED LAND
2.BERTHA
3.ME AND MY UNCLE
4.PEGGY-O
5.JACK STRAW
6.ROW JIMMY
7.LAZY LIGHTNING>
8.SUPPLICATION
9.DEAL
10.GOOD LOVIN'
11.SHIP OF FOOLS
12.THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED

CD 2
1.MIGHT AS WELL
2.ESTIMATED PROPHET
3.SUGAREE
4.SAMSON AND DELILAH
5.FRIEND OF THE DEVIL

Palladium, New York City, NY (5/4/77)
6.MISSISSIPPI HALF-STEP UPTOWN TOODELOO>
7.BIG RIVER
8.THEY LOVE EACH OTHER
9.IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE ROSES

CD 3
Palladium, New York City, NY (5/3/77)
1.EYES OF THE WORLD>
2.SPACE>
3.WHARF RAT>
4.DRUMS>
5.NOT FADE AWAY>
6.AROUND AND AROUND
7.UNCLE JOHN'S BAND

Palladium, New York City, NY (5/4/77)
8.DANCING IN THE STREET

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

I think they took it down...

Alvar got the tracklist for proof. lol

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

I saw it Joey.

Another stealth roll out.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

Anyone catch Ari referencing deadheads and Eyes of the World this evening?

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Now you see me, now you don't.
I agree with Philly Deadhead.
That is a very New York looking cover.
Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yeah, I laughed at his use of "wake up" (I was just resting my eyes, I was not asleep) "to find out"....
He's not just leaving it to the late night comedians to point out the absurdity of it all. Sketch artist even caught him, lol.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

the STEALIE hood badge on the TAXI...
and how about that FOR HIGHER taxi roof sign "TRIPS"
very COOL graphics on daP vol #50

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Local thrill seekers have advised me the early bird advance tix go on sale today for JRAD show on Jerry's birthday, and in early June, current Jazz is Dead iteration featuring Steve Kimock helps kick off Burlington Jazz Fest with a show at Nectars... hmmm seem to recall some other band playing at Nectars back in the day....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Another Angel's Share release NOT on a Physical format.....CD DVD WHY???

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Chuck

Being download only they have no interest for me whatsoever.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Daverock

That's how I feel I have no interest in Downloads But all the Angel's Share stuff is great to listen too. I like Physical stuff and I don't like making a copy on a CDR or DVDR . I guess I am old school LOL

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html