• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Another Valentines Day gem.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Doingtheneedful

So bad what happened to your friend Kevin. There has to be some just, legal, and effective response -- Do what you can.

As for your DaP48 (that's the small problem), have you checked your Dave’s Picks order status at the Grateful Dead Store (store dot dead dot net)? (Scroll to bottom of page and click Order Status; helps to have your order number.) Or did you receive a shipping-notice email from Grateful Dead Store? If so, it would have? given you a tracking number (which, in the U.S., could be a UPS number or a USPS number, or maybe another carrier’s, but in the UK, I don't know, nor know whether you'd receive a tracking number). Have you been able to track the shipment? (I, myself, got shipping emails for Dave’s Picks 47 and 49, but don’t find one for Volume 48.)

With or without tracking info, at the Grateful Dead Store, scroll again to page bottom and click Help/Customer Service. At the upper right of that page, click “Submit a request” and go from there. If you get an email response from that which seems automated and says anything like “unable to provide a personalized response to your specific inquiry” and offers you a list of FAQs, and if none of the FAQs pertains, send a reply that that’s unacceptable, and ask that your request be escalated to a level that will actually respond to your problem.

Finally figured out the confusion about Cap Centre. I knew something was wrong until I dug deeper into DeadBase. When I went to Cap Centre 1987 shows, I saw Fever, but I thought they did Fever all the time. Turns out that was only time they played Fever. So I mixed up seeing Stir It Up and Fever as both were one offs.

Whew - felt insane in the membrane.

And yeah, Super Bowl Sunday looked incredible OTA.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

60 years worth yaddy yaddy yadda, and at least a couple of decades…..
Yeah, but we’ll be dead by then? Andale, andale, vamanos amigos!

Confusion: ha, I knew you were going to say that lol.
I looked it up after I posted, just in case lol, (hey, we’re all getting older ; ) and I saw Fever at Landover and figured that’s what you ment, I should have posted it lol.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

anyone find where to download the latest present.

Rhapsody in Red: Garcia Essentials (A Valentine’s Day Playlist)

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

Nightfall of diamonds on vinyl for RSD and JGB electric on the eel 6-10-1989

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Gonna suck your wallet dry.

#49 is getting close. I paid the customs man €11,56 yesterday. Should be delivered within a week.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

....my Dicks One vinyl shipped. Mrs. Vguy is keeping a close on my record spending. Someone has to!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I've been quietly rooting for you from the sidelines. I'm glad to hear they're working to get a copy of Vol 49 to you.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Why do I keep reading stuff where Branford Marsalis says the Dead are set to drop a 21-disc box set full of performances with guest artists, presumably including him? Is that for real?

I think Branford played with the Dead five times, and of course one of the best ones (3/9/90) is already released. So there's maybe 6 discs max of BM w/GOGD to work with, right? So who would be on the 15 or so discs, if this is for real?

Be nice to get ALL the Duane Allman stuff out. Santana would probably get a lot of people interested. There's some stuff with Cecil Taylor and Ornette Coleman. David Murray. So there's plenty to work with, even if it's hard to imagine how they would get to 21 discs.

Then again maybe it's all just a rumor.

Last five:

P-Funk: Mothership Connection
Charles Mingus: Bues & Roots
King Crimson: Live in Japan
Mahavishnu: Birds on Fire
Maceo Parker: Planet Groove

Yew betcher azz ah em not a robut. Fool!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

I've only found it as a streaming playlist at jambands

Crow, the 91 30 Trips show also included Brandford and it is a great 91 show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Perhaps take a moment today and think good thoughts about the nicest guy here at DN who’s getting his shoulders (hopefully) fixed today.
Good Luck JF, hope the gas passer ain’t stingy with that propofol!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

A 1969 Mountains Of The Moon from Chicago this morning over the airwaves, when Jerry was in great voice, not run raspy from Persian White or cigarettes. Sounded a bit like some English folk song with terrific guitar work.
Dennis Alert: a new Bruce Hornsby album due in 2 weeks, this one with a small chamber orchestra. Intriguing.
Phish live album due shortly too. DaveRock, I know you mentioned you never quite got into them, and they were always on my periphery too, until about a year ago. There was a lot of positive comments about them here, and VGuy served as my Phishing Guide, pointed me out where I could catch the great releases. In short, I cannot believe I didn’t catch on to them sooner, but only two ears, I guess.
Oro , my Leafs are headed your way soon - Clash of the Titans, Amigo!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Oh boy, playing my other team soon also!
Wish the Leafs would get a run going, though, perhaps too soon?
AVs have seemed a bit flat lately. Sabs…sigh, oh well, maybe next year lol
Yes like the Dead folks, in hockey, and evidently football, it’s all about peaking!

Doooode, finally read Orr after TOO gave it to me ten years ago.
What a book, and what a guy! Sure I remember some from BITD but being a kid etc, didn’t really know much. And Geddy Lees bio My Effin Life: one of the best I’ve ever read and I read a lot of R&R bios! Man you Canadian boys are all such well spoken writers.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - Some of them are goodly writers!
I pulled up to a traffic light one time, and a green Rolls beside me caught my attention. Yea, green. The driver was Geddy Lee, so I tried to get his attention to give him a thumbs up or something, but he had his Asshole Protectors on, so my efforts were in vain. :(

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Never been a huge Rush fan, only because not a big hard rock fan, but don’t dislike them, had a few albums BITD and saw a great concert in 80?
But man much respect, what a story, well done and learned much.
Surprised by how much GD MO they adapted over the years.
I’d imagine he’s a around town kind of guy when the situation allows.
That must have been fun!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro, I’m the same - not a Rush fan. But I looked over, and the driver was undeniably him, so I couldn’t resist trying to get his attention, but he likely had Dave’s Picks going full volume in the Rolls, couldn’t hear me.
A story making the rounds that McCartney’s stolen Höfner bass (he played on the first two Beatles albums) was recently recovered, missing since 1972, valued at $13Million dollars! The same article explains that a Gibson acoustic guitar Kurt Cobain played on MTV Unplugged sold for $6 million. I wonder what Jerry’s guitars would be worth. How about other valuable instruments from the rock and roll world. Hendrix’s Woodstock guitar? Dylan’s electric guitar from Newport ‘65?

The lost and found bass is confirmed on McCartney's site. Took five tries to begin to post, Hey Now. When Rush played in my home area, Geddy would come in day of show to a store where my brother worked because they had an excellent selection of red Burgundy, Geddy was a fan. They would pull out the back shelf cherries for him.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

Phish still a great band, but hard to beat that1990's Phish.

On the tube, look up Phish Farm Aid 1998. Nice Birds of a Feather, and then a raging Moma Dance. Then they move into the back-up band for Neil Young. So young and so vibrant. They can still jam and rage, its their vocals that suffer some, as with all with age. Why Rush had to tune down for Ged. Different Stages Hammersmith Odeon 1978. Sweet.

Fortunate to catch 2 Phish and 3 WsP shows last year in a 2 week period. Slept a bit after that. Had tix to 3 nashville shows but do to health had to sell to a friend.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Had a hot date with some cold beer for the 14th. Listened to Road Trips 2vol2 - Be My Valentine. So much fun.

Hard to believe 3 Dark Stars on one release, when you got the bonus disk. I am sure I ordered here, but was not expecting the bonus disk, dont even know if they mentioned it at that time.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Are scooters now MotorCycles?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....down Palace.
Ponied up for a new one. Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB-BK Direct-Drive Turntable.
Will be here tomorrow. $200. I used my Amazon points.
You can take the record purchaser away from the 80's, but you can't take the 80's away from the record purchaser. Or something like that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Looked that one up. Can do it all.
Excellent choice. Enjoy!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Good one Vguy, I have the non-Bluetooth model, didn’t have any use for BT.

Follow the setup directions for balance and anti-skate and it will work great.
If you want to further upgrade the sound in the future get the VM540ML/H headshell/cartridge combo. Sounds spectacular.
Going to spin my new copy of DaP2 vinyl tonight on the system.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I like the Binford 7,000,000XYX OU812!
Bastard cleans the discs while playing them!
Platter literally weights 300 pounds, driven by military grade motor housed in another room for lowest possible noise floor!
Laser cartridge accurate to within one billionth of a cm.
Arm utilizes custom Iridium composite, and separate phone stage requires it’s own rack and power supply, all synced by atomic clock! Boo yah!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

with my ca. 1978 Technics with a scavenged roofing nail lashed to the tone arm.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Really a '70s Philips GA-212, the one with the cool green lights under the touch buttons. Gone through maybe 10-12 cartridges and styli over all those years. Favorite is the Grado Black.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 7 months

Did anyone else realize that U.S. Blues and She Belongs To Me are actually the encore but are included earlier on the first disc? I just did some research and this appears to be the case (I thought they sounded out of order) but nowhere that I saw on the release was this disclosed. I don't mind if they rearrange the order of songs to make things fit, but why can't they tell us on the CD case? DId I miss it? Am I right they are in fact the encore? Can someone validate? Strangely enought on Archive they are also out of order on the recording? Please advise!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

U.S. Blues & She Belongs to Me were the encores.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

45 years ago tonight, I was up in Oakland to see the Grateful Dead deliver a knockout of a show. Anybody else there ? This should definitely be a release or part of a 79 box set.. What a show!

Dave mentions in the chat that the song order had to be rearranged to make things fit.
I didn’t check if it was also stated on the release.

It was a characteristic of earlier cd releases that when songs were included from various shows, it wasn't always clear which song was from which show. Quite a few actually - Dicks Picks 31 comes to mind shows from 8/4 - 5/74 and 8/6/74 - there is no indication in the cd booklet which song comes from which show. You either get Deadbase down and work it out for yourself, or just forget about it and enjoy it as it is presented. It works either way. The immortal Dicks Picks 4 of the 2/13 and 2/14/70 shows doesn't tell you in the booklet where the songs included come from.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

So, I'm only slightly puzzled -- it is still February (what's so short about this freakin' month?) -- at the lack of uninformed speculation on this year's box. As a master of uninformed speculation, allow me to lunge from the high board (it's only three feet down) to do a cannonball...

Got Hey Now'd on a lengthy post, so breakin' it down!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Recent boxes

2023 - Summer '73
2022 - MSG, '81-'83
2021 - '71-'73
2020 - '76
2019 - '87-'91

I heard that rumor swirling from one mention that Branford may have rumbled about a 17-disc set of guest appearances, which sounds intriguing and sets off the thought: do they really have 17+ hours of guest spots? And could the indefatigable Dave & Co. really round up the needed permissions and royalty sharing? As your completely ignorant correspondent, I'd have to ... not count that out. But seems likely it would have to include, say, a half dozen Mtn Jams.

Otherwise, we know Rhino's sweet spot (according to Dave himself) is somewhere in that 15-20 disc zone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Perhaps this is my opportunity to bang my drum for fall '72. A ton of great shows remain unreleased. Dave in his inimitable non-comital manner once said that such a box "has to happen someday..." Why not this year?

Over on my tom-tom, I note the surfacing of several '68 tapes, the generally unreleased August '68 show bundled with that cartoon book (arrgghh!) and a few stray '66-'68 shows still stuck in the Vault (going on pure instinct here). BUT I'm thinking not enough discs for the Rhino threshold, thus this greasy pipedream will remain so until they do a limited edition of the early stuff.

Got Hay Naw'd too many times to finish. As you were.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

I think a box with guests, would be post 1991.. Branford, Coleman and a few others, but NOT 2/70 with the brothers. I would also be a nice way to give us an Vince-years box - perhaps the only one we will see.. BW from rainy Copenhagen..

I'd like to see a Primal box come out this year. One that starts when Mickey joined in Fall 1967, and cuts off about May 1969, before the "Workingman's" songs and they started doing things like "Green Green Grass of Home". Just raw power.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hi guys - I've been trying to get a replacement disc 3 for DP48 since November. Every time I try and escalate it or chase I just get told a new tickets been raised and then an email asking me how I rate customer services. The fault on Disc 3 is that it takes 10-20 seconds to start and then won't allow individual tracks to be selected - so if I want to skip a track it won't. Happens on more than 1 CD player.

Anyone got an idea of how I can get this moving forward ?

PS -- I laughed my head off at the speed of GDTRFB on vol 49 :) What were they on?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Daverock - not to be cynical, but I am! I just wonder whether Rhino sees enough sales potential for the primal box we so richly deserve. For you and me and others here, if I may presume, we don't care how they pkg it as long as they deliver the primal material. Sooner than later, in time for my present incarnation. Not literally, but while I'm still on fire for the band. These "later" years have me evolving, morphing, changing (choose your verb) in ways that I hadn't anticipated earlier in life.

That said, I get the feeling that Dave & Co. (or just Dave) wants to hold back tapes from all eras to give artificial longevity to the release program. Whereas I ("we"?) think that 66-68 isn't going to get more popular with time.

Dave & Co! Hear my plea!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

....they have a strict policy regarding phones. Which I can appreciate.
Looking forward to the light/stage show which I also appreciate.
And, for the first time, I'm bringing earplugs to a concert. Just in case.
Peeps say they are louder than most. And my left ear rings already as it is.
Looking forward to Jambi.
Incredible tune.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

A nod to the artwork Tool features on their album covers, really trippy stuff, much of it by Alex Grey, who would have found a welcome home among the greats of Haight, such as Rick Griffin, Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley, et al.
Enjoy the show VGuy.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html