• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

What would yo mama think
Pretty Peggy-O

Acid Mothers Temple

"Pink Lady Lemonade"

I discovered this walking Green Lake yesterday after a snack

Veeeeerrry nice

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Did I beat BTK to the punch with this one?
Two great shows I was lucky to attend. 76 was just exactly perfect. 1982 is the last year I really enjoyed, just couldn't take Jerry's voice, health and appearance going downhill after that.

Last 5(all vinyl):
Caravan: For Girls who Grow Plump in the Night
Misfits: 12 Hits From Hell
Jefferson Airplane: 9-30-66 boot
GD: 10/9/76
Motown Chartbusters Vol 4

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Good choice Cousin! I forgot that had been issued. RGM?
10-9-76 set 2 with a 10 song jam. And what a jam.
Cheers

It is indeed possible (and quite quick 'n easy) to download the JotW @ForensicDocEleven

However, I cannot seem to post instructions, nor even DM it to you; I tried my level best, removed all l1nks etc but it just kept saying that the site won't allow embeds or lnks and it even flagged me when I tried to send you my emial addr (misspellings deliberate). UPDATE: I finally got a DM sent w/ my contact info

Oro - what a great tape to get practicing on! I love to hear how 12/5/71 has stirred people, their hearts and minds or their souls or their ears or their hands. Or all of it. There's just some powerful magic radiating from that night's efforts. God Bless the Good ol' Grateful Dead

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

41 years ago today I was up at the Frost to see the Dead put on a fantastic show. This was the first time the Dead played at the Frost and it might have been my favorite. This one is a must release, if they ever release any shows from the Frost.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

I was able to capture that 1/21/71, anybody who needs/wants, you know where to find me.............

Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man................

Rock on!!!

Doc
Determination becomes obsession and then it becomes all that matters...............

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

10.22.83: Carrier Dome

Chet Atkins: Almost Alone

11.23.73: El Paso

Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions

10.23.73: Bloomington, MN

...leave nothing but footprints; yet in a digital world, one man gathers what another man spills...

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

10.22.83: Carrier Dome

Chet Atkins: Almost Alone

11.23.73: El Paso

Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions

10.23.73: Bloomington, MN

...leave nothing but footprints; yet in a digital world, one man gathers what another man spills...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 1 month

Per Reddit, Dave's Picks 48 is 11/20/71.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by viewtiful_alan

I'll withhold judgement until I hear it in full processed form.

I listened to 11/17/71 over the past few days...it was OK, but no wood.

I hope 11/20/71 remedies that.

(I love ya Dave....1968....1968....1968....1968....1968....)

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by viewtiful_alan

Alan I haven’t rechecked but looking at my subscription order a few days ago the date you mention was shown as DaP #48. Unless this is a cunning plot by deaddotnet to throw us off the scent it would seem that it is more than a rumour.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

43 Years ago today, 2 rocking Grateful Dead shows! Casey Jones encore on 10/9, these 2 shows burned! I'm really glad that the acoustic sets for these 2 shows were released, hopefully we will see all these shows put out in one BIG BOX SET. Fun times !!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

… received my Grateful Dead vinyl box set,
Over 5 Lp’s recording of the Madison square garden concert from 3/9/81 and it sounds awesome! Great job on this first pressing. Really nice performance & audio quality is primo! Any one else purchase a Boxset??!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Enjoy hoisting the banner.

Connor Bedard initial thoughts. Young and skilled, but smaller than I expected.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Barry Melrose. Tough news. I wish him well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....the pre-game was extra over the top. Hey! It's Vegas!
Melrose. Ugh.
Not good news regarding Mary Lou Retton either. But I guess that's on her.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Where's forensicdoc when you need him?

Doc??

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Around comment 62 or so when it first leaked.
Not a full review but it'll do.
We said his name 3 times fast and he appeared.
Good health to the Doc & wife.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Anyone else order this disc? Was supposed to release over a week ago,,,, I've had no word, see no tracking on order receipt.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The 4th pick of the year is generally good but not grate, seems this year is no exception.

In Burlington, VT visiting my daughter for her 21st and leaf peeping, she's at UVM. Was at Nectar's last night for "Dead Night." It rocked, I was one of the oldest guys there, mostly 20's and 30's. Also, this town is FULL of Dead stuff, Phish music, flags, images, nowhere to be found. Cracking me up

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Good morning to HF and all you other rockers!!!

I am here, but in serious lurker mode. One only has to ask............

IF 11/20/71 is the next Dave's, I think people will enjoy it. I'm guessing it's a returned tapes type of deal, if it's an upgrade I'm thinking of quality comparable to Albuquerque/Ann Arbor. Solid show, especially the second set. The question is, what to put on the third CD? Maybe the recently exhibited 1/21/71? Ah, one can only hope.........

Don't really wanna get into details about health issues just yet, but here's a clue.......H/O.............and I don't mean trains..........

You can find the entire cosmos lurking in its least remarkable objects.......

Rock on!

Doc
There's something about shadows because you make your own mind up about what's lurking in them.....

Maybe it would be as well to ignore the Keith era for the next couple of years. Unless something truly different can be found, like the Fall 73 shows with horns. Otherwise there's a risk we could be getting slightly inferior versions of shows we've already got.
And 10/12/68 would be brilliant way to start. No Dave's Picks released so far is remotely like it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

… on the subject of future Dave’s picks , how about the performance at Tacoma Dome 10//20/85 ?!

user picture

Member for

17 years

Billy's getting enough love and playing enough incredible stuff that we kinda thought he deserved his own thread.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I'll see what's up with that...
user picture

Member for

17 years

but hey, I'm a mod, so if you and/or others continue to have this difficulty I will pass it up the line. Sorry for the trouble! And if you have problems, describe the error messages you're getting and anything else that seems to be going on...thanks!
user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

10 8 81

From my Craig collection

Worth a listen

Also, another reason why I don't look at setlists: 9 25 81

A few nice surprises in that show

user picture

Member for

1 year 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I've been listening to a lot of October 83 and now I have Day Job stuck in my head... :(

Why hasn't 10/15/83 ever come out? Maybe Dave doesn't bother if there are already good boards around?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I was at this show, lots of fun, th4e sun dome is a great place with a floating dome, place sucked you in and spat you out. Second set here is awesome, with a great Drums>Space into Jerry doing a great reading of "Comes a Time". Gimme some loving too, First time hearing the band doing that one. Good times had by all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

...30 seemed so old.

Just reflecting back over the last few weeks and posts I had not been able to post.

Someone posted about Hampton 1988, specifically 1988-03-27. I went to the Atlanta and then Hampton shows. They were all very good, but the March 27th shows was spectacular. It had the first Space to open a set since 1985-10-31. That one was space>Werewolves of London. Know everyone around here knows that but just thought I would post just in case.

Then was discussed the 1988 Cap. Center shows. We did that run, so I was extremely happy to see the Ripple. One of my favorite songs. Although, it was sad why they played that Ripple. Did those shows, then hit Miami, Tampa-St. Pete, and New Orleans.

Someone posted about Eric Clapton 24 nights. I have the dvd and cd's. Watched the dvd a couple of weeks back. It is very good but has its flaws also.

Seems like there was one more but it slips me.

I also in the last few weeks listened to Chicago's first 2 albums remastered on cd, both are great. The first album is still my favorite.

Oh well, enough for now.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

are relatively brief. But fun.

Ripple....they played that in 88 immediately after the two blechy shows in the Northwest, Tacoma (actually, kind of OK with Touch of Grey out of Space) and Eugene (still annoyed by that show in 2023)

I like the idea of it. I am half way through Paris 9/18/74, so I will be having my brain drilled by Seastones later tonight. That opens set 2, as it did for a few other 74 shows, so maybe that was a sort of precedent for the set opening Spaces.

Too busy lately, whats happened to our daylight. Thank goodness for GOGD. Have been trying to review much of E72, including the couple shows never heard before like Newcastle and loving every minute. As much as I have banged on the primal drum and would love to have more 1968, 71-73 is such peak period too, E72 monumental. Just had the extra fun and unlikely experience of running into John Scott of Deadbase fame a few minutes ago in a place so close to my home as to be almost next door. John is a friend of a friend but we had never met, a student at Dartmouth, where I later worked. Quickly traded stories, both at the 1980 Lewiston concert, recent music etc. Am certain I made him late for something. This crazy world can be such a small place, we must keep love friendship and peace in our hearts, madness and hatred out.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by dmcvt

I just received my email about Vol 48, on sale next Tuesday the 17th...it is 11/20/71 at Pauley Pavilion as we all knew...faintly remember it...they had two lines...one for the floor and one for the upper level seats...some fun...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html