• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Greatest, LOL
Dee dee, good thing you don’t smoke, yer already too *&$@$* high!

But hey, at least for the meantime, it’s still your right to vote for whomever you like.
So go ahead and vote for the Orange fuhrer and we’ll be plunged into civil war, which will be perfect timing for Russia, China, and Iran to kick our ass in world war three, but hey your awesome new “royal family” I’m sure will be on it, NOT!
Oh, and by the way, some of us actually received an education where we learned about this lost art called critical thinking, you should try it some time!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

What are his accomplishments that make him so great?

user picture

Member for

17 years

Please dial it back a bit. This is Dave's house. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Since BF I’ve obtained 3-2-69, Lyceum 72, 2 and 3 From The Vault.
Have listened to all so far except 3FTV. Good stuff.
Lyceum was overall a good pressing, only a couple LP’s had a little bit of crackling at the edge but then cleaned up as the album played.
Phil comes through real nice on vinyl.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Got a new VM540ML/H for my AT-LP120USB turntable but haven’t installed it yet.
Reviews says that my vinyl audio experience should be greatly improved.

....look it up. They're not even trying to hide it anymore. They even have an official website where you can sign up and shit. Scary stuff my friends.
If autocracy doesn't make America great again, nothing will! And that's not fake news.
I'm going to go walk the dogs and do some critical thinking and listen to Uncle John's Band, because there ain't no time to hate. There's barely time to wait. You better strap in, because if you think it's been a roller-coaster so far, I've got news for you.
Apologies marye and Dave L. You're the best, but damn.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

thank you marye ... we are constantly bombarded by politics, and about the only refuge for me is the Good Ole Grateful Dead ... so please, let's all try to keep this neutral, respectful and apolitical ... meanwhile, here's a handy survival tip: If you get lost in the woods, start talking about politics and someone will show up to argue with you....................tc

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by topchinacat

Just had my thoughts on 2/28/69 hey now'd. I wonder if I wrote about politics I would get through. Or if this will. Lets see...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

I'm not writing it all again. In a nutshell, 2/28/69 is dead good.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I've had the same thing happen numerous times: written out some detailed thoughts about 2/9/69, only to have them Hey Now'd and disappeared into the online aether. Which makes me reluctant to try again. Suffice to say this show is primo top shelf uberpotent deadheaded psychedelic dragon good shit.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Welcome back! We knew you'd be back :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

....I apologize for my rant.
Thought about deleting it, but my point stands.
It seems the Hey Now thing is gone. Thanks marye.
I'm going with the Evanston NW University 11.1.73 Wake bonus.
Jokamo feeno

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I was tripped up yesterday trying to post. Personally speaking, it's more important to me to have the board running efficiently than whether somebody uses it to tell us their political opinions. I don't care two hoots about that - whether they put them on here or not. They are usually more fun than the hockey posts, that's for sure

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

anyone been downloading the 31 days of december?

The for 10 was screwed up, it was a to a whole show.

If you go down you seem to be able to go somewhere via instantgram.

I no have instant, so I couldn't go. Did anyone go there and see if a single track was mentioned or it too was only a to a whole show?

didn't allow the word ?ink

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

the last 5
The Dave Brubeck Quartet: “Bravo Brubeck”, Live in Mexico (1967 vinyl)
9.2.68: Betty’s Organic Raspberry Farm, Caution “ALL you NEED” (cassette)
8.27.72: Springfield Creamery :) (CD)
Van Morrison: "Enlightenment" (1990 CD) always enjoy "In the Days Before Rock 'N' Roll"
Dire Straits: 1st Album self-titled “Dire Straits”, (1978 vinyl), always great listening

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Looks like maybe the plug finally got pulled on the Hey Now Police. That was weird. . . PLUS there's now an easy Search Comments option right above the Comments on each Comments page.

It'll probably take months pf therapy to get over this, but looks like we're on our way. Onward.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

just got hey now'd over on POTD. its maddeningly random, but long involved posts seem to be a favorite target

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Why this show (11/20/71)? Nothing special at all. Especially when DaP 26 is FAR superior. That said, the third disc's partial 10/24/70 is the keeper.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

9/19 & 20/70 Fillmore East or. 4/5 & 6/69 Avalon Ballroon. It probably won't be either choice, by but both would be very cool.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by wuchmee

Thanks for mentioning Daves 26, Wuchmee. I had no idea what that was when I read your post, so I'm playing it now - 11/17/71. It is a good one. I have played it so rarely, it's like listening to a new show. I notice it has a bonus disc attached - a selection from 12/14/71.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

42 years ago I was at the tiny Fiesta Hall ( 1,500 in atttendance) for a really cool show with the Grateful Dead & Joan Baez. The Dead backed Baez for a set and then played a great electric set. Mickey Hart and Mere Saunders opened the show with High Noon. The show was a benefit called Dance for Disarmamement. What a blast! We were all getting primed for the Dead's great year end run at the Oakland Auditorium.

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

I'll have to find some time to travel back to San Mateo after I finish in Long Beach on my tour of 1981, being as I've already left Oakland lol, thanks BILLY!

PEACE ALL!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

maybe get thru
great show release requests
50 all ready picked
tell us all ready
un-gow-wa

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

I'm with you, Daverock: I too have hardly given Dave's 26 any plays. In my case, though, it's because that release happened right as I was dealing with the events that would lead to my surgery that coming summer, so I was preoccupied. But when I saw your note, I grabbed it and took it to work with me today. I'm just about to fire it up for a lunchtime listen.

Fiesta Hall is one of the buildings at the San Mateo County Event Center, and I *think* it got converted to a drive-through vaccination center back in Fall 2021. Actually, now that I'm looking at a map, I think actually it was the larger building just to the south. Either way, I'd vastly prefer the content that Billy the Kiddd mentioned... xD

10/25/69! Interesting show (what circulates) - what a fantastic Dark Star. Anyone know what guitar Garcia played that night? There's some speculation that it's a Strat and not the SG, but my ears aren't trained enough to know.

George Harrison - Brainwashed
Paul McCartney - Ram
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Phish - Billy Breathes
Spafford - For Amusement Only
Last GOGD. Dave's 31. Uptown Theatre. Chicago. 12.3.79.
If you haven't heard of Spafford. Shhhh. They're an ancient Chinese secret.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Dave's 1- from May 25, 1977 on vinyl.

And from Mom & Dad's classical collection of vinyl:
Debussy - La Mer, Afternoon of a fawn.
Sibelius - Finlandia, Grieg Op. 26 - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 Op. 46
Dukas - The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping on high quality vinyl reissue using original analog masters.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Finally found that beam I was looking for to test some speakers on Dave's 39 Philly April 26, 1983. Anyone have a suggestion on an official release that has a big frightening beam in the Drumz? Need to shake loose some cobwebs.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Just heard it's 5/3/77 with filler from 5/4

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

.....in talks for a Sphere residency.
I know Weir was there for a U2 show to check it out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Would that include Bill?

I got a better idea, a residency of Bob, Phil, Bill, Mickey, Bruce with (fill in the blank) on guitar.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....taking an early lunch tomorrow.
10 AM PCT. I intend to have multiple browsers up and running.
Obsessive? Maybe. Dedicated. Yes.
I'm not greedy. Looking for Friday & Saturday. Will have the other two dates on the radar. Just in case. Utmost focus is required.
Hopefully Christmas comes in April. Wish me luck because Phish fans are an insane bunch.
There is no way Bill would miss it ConeKid. My opinion.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Help/Slip/Frank reminds me of the 80s. Franklin is really, really good. Hello guys.

I think everyone inside knows Bills done except unfortunately Bill? He might want to die onstage but I don’t think the others want to witness it.
There was some nonsense in Mexico and, if you remember Mickey during set break from ? Boulder show briefly mentioned how nice it was not having any drama on the tour…
My guess, they dissolve the corporation and restart without him.
But…perhaps the residency methodology would work for him?
I know Bob has stated that he’s getting too old and sick of the road, so who knows?
It’s certainly worked for Phil all these years.
I don’t see them hanging up their R&R shoes soon, especially if they can get off the road.
Let’s hope, this past D& C tour was sweet!

Howdy Carlo!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Garcia back from a coma to kick off the show with Touch of Grey. What an incredible moment, what an incredible show. I t was something Ill never forget, the place was electric. A great birthday present.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....logged in 10 minutes before the sale. Got in queue. There were 800 in front of me for Friday. 1100 in front of me for Saturday. Not great. Not horrible. Was optimistic. Had the phish subreddit on my phone. As soon as 10 o'clock hit, saw peeps saying there were over 20,000 people/bots in front of them. Got more optimistic.
Then....the line moved sloooooow.
My turn came up. Yay!
Clicked some seats, then they just disappeared. Like a shitty game of whackamole.
Got one! Gone. Got one! Gone.
Yeah. Then more seats popped up. Hey that one got in my cart! Oops. That's a "platinum charity" seat. $1200.00.
I'm out.
F**K TICKETMASTER AND THE BOTS!
Although, a few fans said they got them at face.
Insanity.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html