• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

A new Willie Nelson album - “90” - was just released, celebrating Willie’s 90th, and some great guests on it, including Billy Strings (on “Whiskey River” - one of Willie’s best), Emmylou Harris, Keith Richards, Warren Haynes, etc etc and our very own Bob Weir.
VGuy - That sucketh about TicketBastard. Bots have changed the landscape. Good old fashioned lining up for tix like days of old never looked so good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Happy happy joy joy to you senior Kid!
That would have been some biffday present!

Recently listened/enjoyed the 88 Frost shows, any recollections you’d kindly share with us?

Thanks Mike, that sounds like a cool album…hmmm, is it too late for Santa?

That sucks Vguy that you can’t get tix for a hometown show.
These @#$*(ing greedheads are killing my soul!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....still planning on going to the Sphere Friday and Saturday nights and snag some tix in front of the venue right before show time when those loser resellers start dropping their prices 😉. It's definitely not "sold out".

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I stayed home and taped the show off the radio, Stanford has their own radio station. Had a big bbq , lots of cold beer, and listened to the show. Thanks for the birthday greeting. 12/15/86 is quite a show with Garcia coming back like that. " Hand me my old guitar* the place just exploded with that line.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Do you know what feels great? Riding a mountain E-bike with a Bluetooth speaker playing GDTRFB while hauling ass on woodsy trails in the middle of the night. Fun and scary at the same time. I have yet to stumble across leather face with his chainsaw. A lot quieter than a dirt bike, but just as fun. I had to tell someone.

You go Vguy! Good luck to you sir…don’t let the bastids bring you down!

Billy: sounds like the next best thing to being there lol.
Kinda like couch streaming now ; )
Reminds me of being in my room taping the boys on King Biscuit while my whole extended family was out in the yard waiting on me to celebrate my high school graduation LOL
Yeah, I’ve heard that JG return show, it is powerful stuff, but I know from experience, as cool as it is hearing on playback, I’m sure its no comparison to being there live. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!
You’ve been a lucky dog Mr Bill!

CARLO: sweet, those things are everywhere here in bike nation lol.
What you described sounds like a gas! Just be careful out there at night, none of us is getting any younger and hitting trees ain’t as much fun as it used to be ; )
Oh, and beware the moors!

Where’s Mr Jimmy? Know he was under the weather: hope your feeling better but just busy Bra?

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

… So Many Roads. So many dreams!
I would love a 1979 Boxset! One of my most favorite eras years!
A 1985 Boxset would also be much welcomed for this deadheads Dreams.
1979 Kinda makes sense if you think about it. We already have boxsets of 1969,1971,1972,1973,1974,1976,1977,1978.1980’s - 81’,82’ & 83.87’,89’Boxset & 1990’.199.
I also would love an ‘ Oakland’ Boxset! So many amazingly primo performances performed there over the bands touring years!
I’m also really excited and looking forward to Dave’s picks 49 which is from 1985, another fantastic year of concerts I adore!
Wishing everyone a happy holiday season & a grateful New Years to my brothers and sisters out there in Deadland ! Peace be with you all!
Don’t forget to “Smile Smile Smile”!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I too struck out on the sphere lotto for Phish. I think this is a cant miss venue. I'll get there at some point.

After the build up over DaP 50 I gotta say im a little let down. Something special was promised and while the Spring 77 shows are killer shows, we have so much '77 out there. I am grateful for more shows being released and look forward to all of them, was just hoping for something a bit more out of left field. I'm looking forward to DaP 49 more than I am DaP 50. Zomething a little different.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Based on the number of fotos of shows from 1993 on the "Dead" FB-site - I think vol 51 will be from this year, wity the 1970 "leftovers" as filler.. Happy holidays to all..

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Firesign Theatre - “…Immortality or…Death”
(Not music, comedy, but still great)
Killers of The Flower Moon Soundtrack
(Robbie’s last hurrah?)
Hornsby - Spirit Trail 40th Anniversary
(The “live” disc is a nice bonus from a highly underrated talent)
Neil Young - Before & After
(Far too short)
Andy William’s Christmas Album
(Twice)

Merry Christmas to all you DHs! 🎄

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by That Mike

9/28/75 from 30 Trips, DaP 34 6/23/74, DaP 21 4/2/73, HCS 5/13/73 partial, and ABB 1/17/71 Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

A can't miss venue.. $100 parking.. mmm..

I think I will have to build one of these sphere thingies in the backyard then. I am a little light on the $1Billion price tag though. I'll have to set up a go fund me for sure and to make it attainable for the mere mortal, I think it will have to be built with repurposed, salvaged materials entirely by hand using nothing but hand tools.

More to come. That is all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

How’s the sound quality on that ABB?
I thought I read that it wasn’t so good.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Build a dome shaped roof over your hot tub, hang a flat screen tv inside, and add a bunch of speakers and a subwoofer.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

It's an upgrade over the tape I've had for 25 years, which was a fairly clean tape. Definitely better than that Down in Texas release, but I had to get that, never acquiring it on tape. For 12 or 15 bucks, can't go wrong, IMO.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Maybe it’s the Texas show that I read didn’t sound so good.
Wonder why they put it on vinyl.
Ok, I’ll pick up the PGH show at some point.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Can't believe they released that Down in Texas on vinyl. I hope they put a gigantic caveat emptor like the ol' Dick's Picks. Pitt I would get, and prob will in next 6 months.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Of all the 'official' ABB live releases, Down in Texas and The Final Note are the only two where the audio is so bad you're not likely to ever listen to 'em more than once. I mean, I'll listen to ANYTHING with Duane on it and I barely made it through.

Syria Mosque is not great audio but it's listenable. And it's a smoking performance so it's worth it.

If somehow you never got yourself a copy of Fillmore West '71, then first of all, what the hell is wrong with you? But secondly, get it NOW. You are in for such a treat.

Others with Duane such as Ludlow Garage, American University, SUNY, and Atlanta Pop are worth getting, too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

…I’m hoping everyone is doing well during this holiday season. I went to one of my local Record stores for some holiday shopping. I was surprised to see two Grateful Dead Boxsets for sale still in their original shipping packaging from the Dead in perfect condition! On-sale! they had, “ In and out of the Garden” CD boxset for $150 & THE GRATEFUL DEAD “Listen To The River: St. Louis '71 '72 '73”- 20 CD BOX SET for $150 as well! I would have bought them but I own both boxes already! Send me a message for more info. Two “Primo” boxsets in my opinion! I’m surprised they didn’t sell out yet!
Nothing left to do but “Smile Smile Smile “!
Have a grateful day my brother and sisters, Peace be with you!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I have Fillmore East and West 71, Bear’s Sonic Journal, and Ludlow.
Will get the others but skip Texas.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Just listened to it to celebrate the 50th anniversary (12/19/73) of that concert. While it's not a complete show, the power of those songs are staggering.

Well worth a listen if you have it!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hb672

Another really good one, that I don't think anyone has mentioned is "Live From A&R Studios" New York 4/26/71". They are on fire here - less extended versions until the 8th track - "You Don't Love Me-Soul Seranade". Hot!

HB-that sound like good advice, digging out Dicks Picks 1.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

....regarding marijuana. It's a start in the right and correct direction. Merry Jerry Christmas 🎅.
I'm going to get REALLY high tonight.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

this year ends by 123123, amazing....
happy new year everybody.
special attention in last comments for 71, right in the topic after Dave 48 : capitol febtuary, fillmore april, hollywood bowl august, and why not alburquerque in november dave26. capitol left the primitive dead behind, Fillmore is Skulls é& roses at his finest, hollywood bowl is one the best pigpen show, and Alburquerque is Europe 72 cooking...
last five
dead & co gorge 2016
john hammond rouhg & tough
gd dave 26 alburquerque
Nathalie Merchant Leave your sleep
cowboy junkies lay it down

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

56 years ago me and my buddy somehow convinced our folks to let us go the The Shrine Expo Hall to see The Doors...my third concert and I had just turned 17...best wishes for this holiday season to all the good folk here...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

if you catch it, check last scenes. When the little girl runs into the house santa got her.
She comes down the staircase and the wallpaper looks like the cover to 5/9/77.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

We will be watching that one soon.
Writers messed up on Daniel D. Tompkins.
Was Monroe's vice president, not Adams.
Good movie trivia, thanks Dennis.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

Meh, this show just doesn't really move me. Similar to one of the Philly shows awhile back.

Feel at times my yearly subscription is at best for 2 to 3 great shows with a throw away or two.

Chever Way your pleasure tends to all, and a FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US😀

3rd show, 10/16/78: Jethro Tull, Uriah Heap opened…still 15…no mascara was harmed during the experiencing of this concert ; ) Next show, 1/20/79, and the rest is R&R history! Lol

Good to see ya Nappy, happy happy to you and Mrs Nappy too!

Now if you’ll please excuse me I need to limber up before the airing of grievances…

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The great drummer for the Pink Fairies. Their 1970 single "Do It!"/The Snake remains one of the best of the decade. Their first three albums and the live comp "Mandies and Mescaline Round at Uncle Harry's" are also essential. Though if you have never heard them before,they probably sound better if you are young and a bit chaotic. It wasn't just about the music.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I'm low-key fascinated by the way the critical reputations of various bands rises and falls over the years. The Doors, who IIRC were very well respected in their time and a major inspiration for not only Iggy and the Stooges but also X and other LA punks, seem to get no love from contemporary critics. I guess Jim's Lizard King persona is just too much handle for the kind of music writers who like boygenius or Sufjan Stevens. (Not picking on them in particular, just giving examples of what contemporary critics seem to like.)

And meanwhile no band has risen more in terms of critical reputation than the GOGD. They were pretty much considered a weirdo cult band beloved by (us) shroom munching dirt twirlers when I first encountered 'em back in the '70s. And of course they're (rightly) considered icons now. Who'd a-thunk?

That interests me, too. I the 70's "history of rock" type books tended to focus on Jefferson Airplane and Janis Joplin when they touched down on San Francisco bands of the late 60's. The Dead were lucky to even mentioned. The Doors, along with the Velvet Underground were hugely popular in England from the late 70's on into the 80's. Maybe less so now, then
Mention of Iggy and The Stooges - I have just started giving the "Funhouse Sessions" box set another listen. Ludicrously repetitive if you don't like them - but what an incredible set if you do. No one else on God's earth approached rock music like this in 1970.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Happy Holidays to ALL Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to ALL I do not post much but I am always here . I love reading all your messages, it keeps me Happy..........Chuck

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I haven't heard as much Blue Cheer, but the MC5 were a great band too. I get the impression The Stooges were more a break from the past than other hard rock bands of their era. I don't think anyone else committed such a full on assault on the audience and was so visibly in tune with the music than Iggy Pop in the early days. Reading about them in this recent mammoth book that has just come out, throughout 1969 a typical set lasted 20-30 minutes, after which they had played everything they new and Iggy had gone up to and completely over the edge .
Maybe early Alice Cooper were the closest doping what they did.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

In the last line of my post. I'm not going to try and edit as I might get hey now'd.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Chuck

Good to know you are there, Chuck. Happy Christmas, solstice and all permutations to one and all.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Deep purple around 1984. Pretty *ucking great but deaf afterwards.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Stooges were the birth of punk, IMO.

From what I understand, they were more of performance art thing than a rock band in the beginning, playing homemade instruments and an amplified vacuum cleaner to create an enormous thumping drone as Iggy, dosed out of his freaking mind, slithered around and mumbled and screamed. They didn't know any actual "songs" when they got signed (by the legendary Danny Fields, who had come to Michigan to scout the MC5, who turned him on to the Stooges.) So for their first album they had somehow write and learn songs, and the result was stuff like "I Wanna Be Your Dog": relentless, droning riffs with lyrics that make the Ramones sound like verbose poetry students in comparison. In other words: punk.

It was a huge break from, well, anything resembling "normal" music, really. And would prove a major inspiration for the Ramones, Pistols, etc. But the really great record is Funhouse. This is recorded about a year later, and they had actual songs and pretty amazing live set, which they just recorded live the in the studio for the album. Just pure, balls out, screaming, animalistic gut level rawk. It's just so incredibly over the top that it's difficult to compare it to anything of that era. Or almost anything since.

The band got strung out after that, and broke up, and reformed with different personnel, and made Raw Power. Which is pretty great in its own right, except that it does sound kind of studio bound in comparison to Funhouse, and the recording quality is really thin and trebly and even after all this time no one's been able to fix it. But all three Stooges records are worth having, if you're at all sympathetic to punk.

Nothing in Iggy's solo career ever came close to his Stooges stuff, IMO. Kind of amazing he lived long enough to do any of it, frankly.

MC5 were incredible onstage, as numerous bootlegs demonstrate. None of the official recordings quite make it (Vox are so so, tunes are often run of the mill, IMO.) But man, they were a force to be reckoned with live. Go to You Tube and look up their Tartar Field performance and you'll see what I mean.

Blue Cheer I only know the one record, Vincebus Eruptum or something like that. It's kind of crude sludgy garage metal, quite enjoyable for what it is.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

I saw them in 1993 - another "reunion-tour", which then turned out to be the final one with Blackmoore and they were still LOUD.. Happy Holidays all..

Crow-that's spot on, what you say about The Stooges and the MC5. I couldn't agree more if I'd written it myself. All manner of British punk bands tried to copy them circa 1977, but no one came close. They just copied the three chord thrash without any understanding at all. "Funhouse" is definitely my favourite Stooges albums. And that clip of the MC5 at Tartar Field is one of my favourite live videos of any band.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The Kraken vs. Golden Knights on New Years day.
PF vs. Vguy? This could be good!
Hockey should be played outdoors.
Cheers

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html