• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Lovemygirl

Anyone else pick up this new release?! Loving it! New riders of the purple sage new live release from
    Hempsteader: Live At The Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, New York, June 25, 1976 captures the band live and on fire on the heels of their MCA New Riders release. Several of John “Marmaduke” Dawson’s original fan favorites like “Henry,” “Portland Woman” and “Glendale Train” are given prime treatment, especially this version of “Portland Woman” which finds the band stretching out with guitarist David Nelson and pedal steel guitarist Buddy Cage taking the song to new places and heights. The band also delves into covers by the likes of Delbert McClinton, Hazel Dickens, Jack Tempchin, Loudon Wainwright III, Chuck Berry, and tremendous takes on the Otis Redding classic “Hard To Handle” (which Grateful Dead fans will recall from their earlier days) and the The Rolling Stones’ “Dead Flowers.”

As with Thanksgiving In New York City, Field Trip, and Lyceum ’72, this release is helmed and Produced for release by Rob Bleetstein—Host and Producer on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam channels, and NRPS archivist. Bleetstein also provided photos and liner notes. Primo Audio Quality is amazing!

Hempsteader: Live At The Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, New York, June 25, 1976 is a chance to relive that time and place, or just feel like you were there.

CD / DIGITAL TRACK LIST:
    PANAMA RED
    LITTLE OLD LADY
    HONKY TONKIN’ (I GUESS I DONE ME SOME)
    FIFTEEN DAYS UNDER THE HOOD
    ANNIE MAY
    HENRY
    DON’T PUT HER DOWN
    ASHES OF LOVE
    PORTLAND WOMAN
    WHISKEY
    SHE’S LOOKING BETTER EVERY BEER
    TEARDROPS IN MY EYES
    I HEARD YOU’VE BEEN LAYIN’ MY OLD LADY
    THE SWIMMING SONG
    YOU NEVER CAN TELL
    HARD TO HANDLE
    GLENDALE TRAIN
    DEAD FLOWERS

• Vguy72

....last covered by Phish on 2.24.22.
    Which reminds me.
    Four Phishy shows at the Sphere starts tomorrow.
    Wish me luck my friends.
    Going with no ticket. I've laid out my "plan" here a couple of times.
    I just want one. Solo.
    You will NEVER regret being kind. Karma. Be on my side.
    Ticketmaster "released" some tix today. $1200. Platinum Charity. 🤪
    That card in my avatar was given to me by a random fan at a Phish show here in 2018. Nice.

• Crow Told Me

Some months ago I mentioned being curious about Zappa here, and several people provided really useful recommendations. (Thanks again!)

My take, having now listened to fair number of those recs? The music is never less than interesting, occasionally great. His guitar playing is technically impressive but can get wanky. His bands are universally amazing. The lyrics are often annoying, with lots of juvenile potty humor. Ergo, I tend to gravitate towards the recordings where there's lots of the great playing and not so much singing.

Which is to say: I LOVE Hot Rats, the Grand Wazoo, and the Wake Jawaka box. And much of the aptly titled Shut Up and Play Your Guitar series.

Oddly enough, I don't really want him to shut up, though. His interviews are always great. He may have had a cynical view of mankind, but it's hard to argue with most of what he says.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."

Amen, my brother.

• icecrmcnkd

46 - 49 all still available.

On another page, how ‘bout that Wall of Sound tshirt?
    I might need one of those.

• dmcvt

Profane, controversial, polarizing. Brilliant satire, great guitar, exceptional composer. He was working on getting out the vote more than fifty years ago, when our country was reeling from Viet Nam, Civil Rights issues and a corrupt administration. My apologies, happily avoid politics here. Dark, yeah, however Stephen Hawking also warned us we had about 100 years before the planet is ruined.

• gratefulgerd

'Human species is a mistake, I am convinced of it.
    If there is a god he really fu cked up when he made people.
    Because there’s only one thing human beings can do and that is K I L L.
    They do that exclusively well and better than any other species.
    They like to make a mess, they like to k i l l, they like to make trouble.
    That’s why the species will eventually just obliterate himself and the world would be safe,
    once again, for cockroaches and moss'.

(FZ - A comment from back in the 70ies!)

• daverock

I've heard a smattering of Frank Zappa albums over the years, and haven't been overly impressed. With one notable exception - "We're Only In It For The Money" - which is a great album to my ears. Far and away my favourite of his.

• jjc

As a New Yorker in good standing that cover is 100% NYC all the way down to the manhole cover! God Bless The Grateful Dead!

• Chuck
    Default Avatar

Proudfoot

You are correct in your thoughts of Zappa. I saw him in my Senior year at Penn State 1972 and the show was Great but a friend saw him in the "East Halls" section of the campus and he was not the most friendly person to approach. That is what my friend said. I never really knew how and what he said to Zappa when he approached him

• proudfoot

Angels' Share?

I don't care.

back to work, PF

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Had to look that up.
The spoken part between:
Redemption funds,
Stocks and bonds.
Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

For a real good time!
Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
Tanks for the memories

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html