• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • 1stshow70878

That being the point just about half way.
    Yes, great mini-box idea V.
    Even if they aren't on "the list".
    Always liked those shows.
    Cheers
    Edit: DMCVT, flooding in the whole state? Hope you're on high ground.

• Vguy72

....10.17.82 & 9.10-11.83 would be cool.

• Obeah

I find that list fascinating. Like of all dates in May '77: why 5/18? I know it has that amazing Eyes but I always think of it as one of the 'off' nights in an otherwise fiery hot month. Or for '80, I'd have thought to see an Alaska show date. And just one date in all of 1990?

• Lovemygirl
    *Re/ possible next Dave’s Picks #47 ideas

… from the old banner from Dave, I’d want -1/15/79 Springfield released! Love my 1979! Stay Alive! I would love an early release like 68’-71but I don’t think it will be a 69’ release because of the release of Dave’s Picks #44 being from 69’ not to long ago. Always love 70-71 era. So many dusky jewels waiting to be picked for a future release.
    As for an 80’s pick anything from 80-82 gets my bones a shaking! I Love My Acoustic Dead! The music & performances Move me! Would also love a 1985 performance! Oh yeah, that would be primo! As for a90’s era performance I could see a show from 91’ definitely being a pick! But honestly, I haven’t disliked a single Dave’s Picks to date/yet! I love experiencing all Shows & eras from the Grateful Dead! I have faith in both Dave & the Band to deliver the ‘good Ol Grateful Dead’s’ magic for years to come! Have a grateful day everyone! Rock on! 🙏❤️💀🌹

• Oroborous

I never saw that “banner” but I did get this list of Possible shows for release that Dave listed before things got rolling, and yes, he’s gone to this well often…not quite half yet…I bet we’ll see 6/22/91 since they just spent time on it, and it’s on this list. Don’t have a lynk for it, but the interview is out there.

POSSIBLE LIST and OTHER IDEAS (DS=Dark Star, BB= Beatty board)
    -1/20/68 Eureka DS
    -4/21/69 Ark DS
    -4/23/69 Ark DS
    -1/2/70 Fillmore DS - DaP 30
    -1/3/70 Fillmore p/o - Dap 30
    -9/19/70 Fillmore DS
    -11/7/71 Harding DS
    -1/2/72 Winterland
    -8/24/72 Berkeley DS
    -2/15/73 Dane DS
    -5/26/73 Kezar (BB) - 73 Box
    -6/10/73 RFK DS - 73 Box
    -6/30/73 Universal Amp. DS
    -9/11/73 W&M DS
    -5/17/74 PNE - PNW Box
    -5/19/74 Portland - PNW Box
    -6/23/74 Miami DS - DaP 34
    -7/31/74 Dillon - DaP 2
    -9/28/75 Lindley - 30Trips
    -6/14/76 Beacon (BB) - 76 Box
    -6/15/76 Beacon (BB) - 76 Box
    -10/3/76 Cobo - 30Trips
    -5/18/77 Fox
    -5/26/77 Baltimore DaP 41
    -11/4/77 Colgate - DaP 12
    -1/18/78 Stockton
    -1/22/78 Eugene - DaP 23
    -1/15/79 Springfield
    -8/30/80 Spectrum
    -10/14/80 Warfield
    -3/9/81 MSG - MSG Box
    -5/16/81 Cornell - 30Trips
    -8/30/83 Hult
    -10/21/83 Worcester - 30 Trips
    -10/9/84 Worcester
    -11/2/84 Berkeley
    -9/18/87 MSG - 30Trips
    -7/29/88 Laguna
    -10/26/89 Miami DS - 30Trips
    -12/27/89 Oakland
    -10/27/90 Zenith- 30Trips *
    -6/22/91 Soldier Field DSJ
    -9/26/91 Boston DS
    -3/29/93 Albany HCSS
    -9/13/93 Spectrum DS

• onthebussince77

I bet we see at least one of the remaining shows by the end of 2024.

• proudfoot

Wow. Quite few nuggets of happy there.

I will put 5 dollars on 9/26/91 being #48.

I also will put 5 dollars on a 68 show being #48.

• onthebussince77
    Unreleased shows from the 2011 DaP ad banner

About half of them have been released, either as DaPs or in box sets. We'll know in a few days if Dave has picked one of the remaining ones for #47:
    1/20/68 Eureka Municipal Auditorium - Eureka, CA
    4/21/69 The Ark - Boston, MA
    4/23/69 The Ark - Boston, MA
    9/19/70 Fillmore East - New York, NY
    11/7/71 Harding Theatre - San Francisco, CA
    1/2/72 Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA
    2/15/73 Dane County Coliseum - Madison, WI
    6/30/73 Universal Amphitheatre - Universal City, CA
    9/11/73 College Of William and Mary - Williamsburg, VA
    5/18/77 Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA
    1/18/78 Stockton Civic Auditorium, Stockton, CA
    1/15/79 Springfield Civic Center Arena - Springfield, MA
    8/30/80 The Spectrum Philadelphia, PA
    10/14/80 Warfield Theatre - San Francisco, CA
    8/30/83 Hult Center - Eugene, OR
    10/9/84 The Centrum - Worcester, MA
    11/2/84 Berkeley Community Theatre - Berkeley, CA
    7/29/88 Laguna Seca Recreation Area - Monterey CA,
    12/27/89 Oakland Coliseum - Oakland, CA
    6/22/91 Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
    9/26/91 Boston Garden - Boston, MA
    3/29/93 Knickerbocker Arena - Albany, NY
    9/13/93 The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

• Vguy72

....awesome.
    My next show is Little Feat. At The Smith Center.
    Usually reserved for plays and orchestras.
    Never been there. Looking very much forward to it.

• bigbrownie

Last night's show was, as Forrest Gump would have said was, "like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get". I don't know what was more fun: the church-like Mr. Soul>Mother Earth on the pump organ, or when somebody yelled "play 'Old Man'", and Neil responded, "ASSHOLE!". We did get an "Ohio" and a "Heart of Gold", and all around, the theme of LOVE shined through.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html