• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • 1stshow70878

So typically dysfunctional that we get a "stealth" announcement.
    Fits this year's theme of screw ups.
    But hey, that's us. One big dysfunctional family. Love it!
    Cheers
    It's on the Hoffman thread too.

• onthebussince77
    DaP 47 = "Listen to The River" discs 21 to 23

Thanks ADEDHED68 for the heads-up on DaP 47! If you have any doubts go to your subscription confirmation email, click on the order number, and then enter the pertinent info.

12/9/79 St. Louis:
    SET 1: Alabama Getaway > The Promised Land; Brown Eyed Women; Cassidy; Row Jimmy; New Minglewood Blues; Candyman; Lazy Lightning > Supplication; Deal
    SET 2: Shakedown Street > Samson & Delilah; High Time > Easy To Love You; Terrapin Station > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Jam > Drums > Space > Black Peter > I Need A Miracle > Bertha > Good Lovin'
    ENCORE: Don't Ease Me In

• proudfoot

You are one funny dude

• MDJim

Anchor Steam and Sam Cutler.. man. at 5:20, beer o'clock.. I will be sure to pour my first two sips to the curb. Like others, Anchor Steam was one of my favorites also. Thick and chewy satisfaction, especially around the holidays. As for Sam Cutler, a classic character and a rock and roll icon.

I googled and it looks like Fritz Maytag is still alive at 85, which coincidentally is the year I am seeing a lot of love for further down in the thread. I can't believe it's gone and I have to believe someone will revive Anchor Steam.

My JimInMD account doesn't seem to be logging in correctly so I had to resurrect MDJim. It's still me, I have no idea why it's flaking out on me.

Weird.. but as they say, when the going gets weird... the walls spiral and melt away and you find yourself once again without clothes and purched on top of the telephone pole in the town park with a nasty case of sunburn.

I really like 1985, warts and all and also caught one of these rare and elusive She Belongs to Me. A highlight for sure.

• adedhed68

12/9/79 Kiel Auditorium St. Louis, MO

• bigbrownie

Growing up on the East coast as a beer loving teen in the Seventies, beers like Anchor Steam, Olympia, and Coors (must be kept refrigerated) gained mythical status. Just not available. Had my first Anchor Steam in SF with my old man in 1976 down at the wharf, some crab legs, chowder, you know the drill. Those were the days.
    Saw only one show in '85: Manor Downs 8/31. It doesn't get much love on these threads, but boy I'll tell you, as a Texan, it was a gol dern good ol' time. I still remember Jerry's guitar sounding crystal clear like his rig had been super upgraded. Let it Grow, Terrapin, Estimated and ...She Belongs to Me!!!, were the highlights as we kicked up the dust like a bunch of stampeding cattle during that 100 degree late afternoon.

• Oroborous

Prepping for the final run…

Nice post on Anchor Crow. I misspoke, about first “craft beer”, ment modern area, of course there were hundreds of small local breweries BITD, same in Bu faf. I was referring to modern era, and yeah, back east Sierra Nevada Pale Ales were our go to “micro brew” before that really caught on back there. Hell St Pauli, Beck, and Heineken were exotic back then! Remember, a lot of things that are current in Cali sometimes take years to cross America lol.
    Bet you’d dig the Anchor Brewing Story book, good sheet Mon!

85: if yer gonna go…go BIG!
    Summer 85, best of tour, a little Greek, Blossom, Toga, Hershey, both Merriweather, and Ventura! Boo yah!

• proudfoot

I even have the title

Summer Love in the Spring, Fall, and Winter

Hire me, Dave!

• Crow Told Me

That really is some sad news. Anchor's Liberty Ale was always a favorite, as was their porter. They weren't technically the first craft beer company: they were actually the last surviving local brewery. Once upon a time there were hundreds of local companies, often providing a specifically local style preferred by local drinkers. But after WWII, the brewing industry consolidated in a massive way, so much so that at one point (the mid-70s, I think) there were less than a hundred brewing companies in the whole fucking country. (There's now something like 10,000.)

Anchor somehow survived that era, partly because it was owned by a guy named Fritz Maytag, whose family made a fortune selling appliances, so he could keep the brewery going just because he liked the beer. Their signature product was Anchor Steam, and they were the only ones making "steam beer", a style specific to the Bay Area and which evidently had a loyal following. Steam beer was so named because brewers in the Bay Area would cool the hot wort in long shallow trays that produced lots of steam in cool bay air. This was cheaper than using various refrigeration methods used elsewhere, but it also took longer and exposed the raw beer to lots of microbes that contributed a distinctive funk to the flavor. As is often true of many things--music included--that small imperfection actually made it more perfect.

So Anchor did not start the craft brewing movement, but Fritz Maytag was a mentor to Ken Grossman, who started Sierra Nevada, the company that arguably started it all. He gave him access to equipment and ingredients that he otherwise couldn't have gotten. At that time, brewing was so centralized/industrialized, that it was impossible to buy malt in a quantity small enough to make, say, 100 barrels of beer. You had to buy enough to make thousands of barrels, which Ken could never have done at that time. There's a hilarious story about how Ken once bought a pick up truck bed-sized load of malt from Fritz, not realizing it would be way too heavy for his suspension, and yet somehow manage to coax the pickup all the way back up to Chico via the back roads.

Anyway ... I'll raise a glass to Fritz and to Anchor when happy hour comes today. And would you look at that? It's Beer O'clock already.

I was as surprised as you all there was no announcement about 47. I'm thinking it almost has to be an '80s show, given that we've just had a couple '70s, a couple '90s, and gotten our '60s fix recently. Maybe they'll finally release one of the Berkeley Greeks we've been begging for? A guy can dream.

• Gary Farseer

Can they find an 1985 4 concert box with the best show from each season of the year?

Will pull the MSG box again in the not too distant future...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html