• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Colin Gould

#47 is unavailable because it hasn’t been released yet. Unless the PTB have changed their policy the DaP’s are not available for pre-order once the subscription window has closed. This change came in a few years ago. The seaside chat should appear very close to the release date so that Dave can remind everyone to go over to the website and order quickly to avoid disappointment. It is odd that some details have already surfaced on the store page.

Edit They must have changed their minds! It can now be ordered. Perhaps the failure to sell out 45 and 46 has had an effect.

• 1stshow70878

It's showing 47 as currently unavailable? (Only 11 days until release date.)
    As is RFK 4CD, or is that sold out, nah, not limited. Pulled it until issues resolved?
    Give 'em time. They'll get their stuff together eventually, lol.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

The graphic is showing, listening party available as well as track list, but no seaside chat or comments yet

• Lovemygirl

I truly believe you won’t have to worry, it’s gonna be a grateful release in the Dave’s Picks! You don’t be disappointed! It’s an amazing performance! gratefully so because what made the band really playing Heavy Grateful Dead from 79’ & hear how the band formed a unity of unstoppable influences from all the band members playing off each other collectively like clock “floating in outer space space” ! Like a ‘Dark Star’! ;)
    Keep on truck’n my brother and sister’s! Peace be with you all!
    Let’s go 1979!

• dmcvt

OK that's not meant to be a political statement, just having fun. Hollywood Dave avoiding the camera for 47? Will we get an AI Dave?? DaveRock, will not bang the drum here, not the place as I so appreciate emphasis on our shared music interests and adventures. Just part of the umwelt developed from way back, child of the 60s, The Whole Earth Catalog cover of the earth from space, Rex Foundation etc. Heard the comment recently we should call this planet Ocean, not earth for obvious reasons. First Ocean from the Sun, referencing Jimi, since the first two have no liquid, we are goldilocks but for how long?

• daverock

DMCVT- good to read about you driving an electric car. There is a lot I could do to maybe help make things better.. it's gradually beginning to sink in that changes need to be made - and by the likes of me, not just politicians. I hardly drive at all now - about 2 miles a week, which I like to think is beneficial for me, one and all.

Maybe I was a bit harsh about the new Dave's, if it does prove to be from 12/79. I have always liked both 12/26 and 12/28. And I have been spoiled with releases I like so far this year.

• 1stshow70878

Read this morning that the Christmas beer was done before the shut down and will be available. No mention of whether that was kegs or bottles. Article mentioned that part of their demise was that they were tied more to pubs than stores and the pandemic hit that mix hard and fast. They couldn't adapt quick enough to switch distribution on that scale.
    Cheers
    Beers that I remember that may not still be around:
    - Acme, from S.F., CA and had the best graphic art ever on the can.
    - Henry Weinhardt (sp?), was that an upscale from one of the bigger Northwest mega-brewers?
    - Erlanger, a Shlitz premium?
    - Heilmann's, another cheapo from the brew belt upper mid-west. My G-ma held some corporate stock in that company.
    - Blatz, one of the worst ever but oh so cheap for a broke college student. Local Ace liquors in Ft. Collins in 1977 was selling this, I kid you not, for $3.99 a case! The deposit on the case of bottles was more than the beer at $5.00, lol.
    Got any fallen flag favorites?

Edit: change dot org has a petition up to save Anchor from Sapporo's shut down. They seem to be hoping a rich Californian or group will save them.

• Oroborous

Hey, hope I’m wrong and it’s a blazer, I’m just feeling weird about this one, and if I’m unfortunately correct, it’s going to conjure more speculation AND, WMG IS a corporation, so bad decisions have been based on less.
    And I dig years like 79, so 2 dogs in a row could again, lead the corporate deciders to put the Kibosh on the year if it doesn’t sell out…
    Again, just thinking out loud, sorry to seem negative etc. Truly hope I’m wrong!

I bet we’ll get the official drop mañana, unless their gonna hold off because of UPS strike, or all the box fuckery, or something?

• dmcvt

It is a bit odd that we do not yet have Dave's seaside chat telling us about #47, the how and why since we know the what and when. Dave's started off with 12K edition iirc, makes sense that WMG/Rhino would keep increasing editions over the years until they did not sell out quickly. If they trim back from 25K next year, won't be much, they already have an idea how much inventory they might want to carry and for how long. Sure, maybe they're second guessing themselves now that HCS sold out quick enough, but doing the math, 10K CD sets and who knows how many downloads, things are solid. DaveRock, can only agree, roughly 75% of all my miles driven are electric, share in a solar farm.

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

We all focus on the diversity of era's when Dave makes these picks, and rightly so. ('68, '82, '85, '88, '91 anyone?). But I also think he likes to throw in lesser known/distributed shows as well. It cannot be all big ones that circulated widely.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 3/18/67 or 10/30/68 or 7/18/76 or 9/6/80. Or a full release of runs where we only have partials for the most part (2/13/70, 2/14/70, 4/28/71, 4/29/71, 6/26&28/74, 10/19/74, 10/20/74, Alpine '89, MSG '90, etc). But discovering new stuff is part of the fun. For me at least. Hopefully this is a hidden gem.

I do worry that with the last two not selling out (yet), it does not bode well for things going forward. And it might be time to start leaning heavily into the big boys while we still can. But those decisions have likely been made for 47 & 48 before the non-sellout streak started. I think next year would be the soonest a shift could occur.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html