• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

For 12/1 however any fall '79 show is worth a listen or two. I guess it's time to play DEAD & play DEAD loud. Happy Tuesday to all you kind folks out here in DEADLand.

• alvarhanso

Of Billerica is only logical, Dave. I have been told by natives (who laughed at my own use of Bill-erica), that it is pronounced Bill-rick-a. They have some strange pronunciations here, I just laugh and move on while trying to make a mental note of that "correct" way to say something.

Was not a huge fan of DaP 31, the Jack a Roe and the filler jam is about all I recall from it. Listening to the Lazy Lightning now, and Bob mumbles through some verses, the sound of cassette hissing away. But will definitely give it a good listen when it comes. Don't think it will get near the workout DaP 45 and HCS box will, but I like random shows to pull out for a change, too. This could fill that need.

Don't Ease is not a favorite of mine by any means, but a band I was in started doing it, and I came to like it more then. Especially when we found it is a perfect way to do a stop on a dime segue into The Other One. So, I could see an encore version working well for a rocking closer. At least it's not yet another Around and Around.

• itsburnsy

Fall of '79 is super under rated. Jerry was really trying to show the new kid how to play, there was soooo much good music on this tour, really, the best Brent tour until Spring of '90. Been waiting for Fall '79 since the early days of Road Trips. Now what about Pittsburgh Dave? That was the best show of the tour?

• DeadVikes

Sweet, looking forward to this one. A little December 79.

How did you know LMG?

• kemo

My Guess is the bonus material is from 12/4/79 from Chicago after space. We got the Estimated /Frankiln’s / Jam pre drums on No. 31. But it looks tasty. I dig me some early Brent.

• JoeyMC

I hope this doesn't suck. ;)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html