• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sixtus_

Daverock, I'm with you on this one - despite DP2 being 1/3 of the full show, what was initially offered is indeed the true meat of this show. Back then when it was originally released, we didn't know any better anyway since it was only the 2nd release of the series and that DP1 was also hacked up to fit onto 2 discs. In retrospect I can see some potential criticism but at the end of the day the fact that they put that Dark Star and NFA medley in our hands was enough to fill my cup.

Cup remains full on this still today- and I was inspired to go take a listen and am in the midst of that DS right now and it's as inspiring as ever.

Be Well People!
    Sixtus

• daverock

I wouldn't mind one of those, I have to say. One of the all time great releases in my book, and contrary to how these releases are normally considered, weirdly enhanced through not being the whole show.

• proudfoot

is give 11 20 71 a chance.

You might like it...

• proudfoot

So you got to be there.

My sympathies.

I can't imagine. Well, yes I can.

Must have been a very somber exit.

• Jack Baller

PF- I was there at Folsom Field on Friday night for that debacle (long time season ticket holder).

Let's just say I had a hell of a lot more fun there this summer at the 3 Dead and Co shows.

Well, at least until Dave Matthews showed up on stage. Yeah, I said it.

Speaking of Stanford, to echo another recent poster, that Maples 73 show sure would sound great as a DaP.

Looking forward to checking out this next release, but wonder how long it will stay up in the rotation...

• icecrmcnkd

Yet, at the time, I couldn’t see it.
    Kept getting a message that my reCRAPTCHA answer was incorrect.

Sounds like others were having similar problems.

Twice the price for a DaP2 vinyl? Highway robbery.

• Dennis

I got that notice also. Bastards!

I wondered about cancelling also, but worried I wouldn't get one on Thursday.

Oh agony!

But I did order shelving today for the "music" room. Great sale on Elfa at the container store, got 3,000 worth of shelves for 2,000,,,,,, a 35% sale! Largest sale in their history.

So next week sometime the music comes out of boxes!!

• hendrixfreak
    I've been on the road for seven daze............

Chasing a woman in Pasadena. She's a rock movin' woman. Anyhoo...

I scrolled around and saw that Senor Nappyrags asked after me. So kind. LOVED that joke: "the cat answers "You're sitting in my chair." I got another: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Pretty dang good here Nappy. Beat a few serious health issues, now it's just down to, er, mental health. So I hit the Green River for a few days of paddling and popping shrooms. Ah, good for the soul!

Now prepping for a few days of backpacking in remote NW Colo, working on a new book, a new CD, physical fitness, romance, polishing agates I found on the Oregon coast. Life is good right now and I look for ways to share my fortune with those who have less.

I may not always be kind, but I'm tryin',, yours truly, HF

• hendrixfreak

You MISS the '80s???

Cuz you (and me) were 40 years younger then?

You'll recall the loosely related Dylan line, I'm sure.

I miss Vguy -- hey man, come out to the Rocks next summer for TTB and we'll do more than burn one!

HF

• Gary Farseer

Mr. Weir!!!

Thanks for making things weird!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html